How to Obtain Bus Transportation
Making Charter Bus Arrangements
To streamline contracted bus arrangements and avoid single-point-of-failure risks with managing these contracted services, NIU is shifting to provide NIU offices with ordering guidance and direct access to bus vendors for arranging support requirements.
The university has arranged contracts with several bus companies for charter bus services. All charter bus trips covered under the approved contracts are for university-funded activities only, either by departments or by recognized student organizations.
Demands on and limitations within the charter bus industry can vary greatly, so it is highly advisable to arrange services as soon as the travel requirement may be known or at least two (2) months in advance of the proposed trip to be reasonably sure of obtaining support.
If you have any questions about the process, need additional guidance, or limited assistance, please contact Transportation Services at 815-753-1558.
Departments should initiate charter bus arrangements directly with a University-approved vendor (see below for contact information). To ensure availability, departments should contact these vendors well in advance of their trip. The following information will be required to obtain a trip quote from the vendor:
- Date(s) and time(s) of trip to be taken
- Tentative itinerary
- Number of passengers (to determine size and number of buses)
- Type of bus required
Each contracted vendor may have different pricing and availability so multiple vendors may need to be contacted to find acceptable arrangements.
When final arrangements are made, request a written, itemized confirmation from the selected vendor. Confirmations are different from quotes which are only estimating the cost for the trip. Departments are responsible for reviewing these confirmations for accuracy. After reviewing, the department should send an electronic purchase requisition through the P2PO system. Important note: please use account code 682515 on your requisition. This will assist in monitoring the university's collective spend for each vendor. Additionally, please be sure to enter travel information in the comments section and attach the vendor's confirmation in the attachments section.
Payments will be made net 30 days after completion of the trip. Each company has its own policies such as terms for cancellations, so this should be reviewed thoroughly prior to scheduling a trip. It is suggested that cancellations be handled as far in advance as possible.
Green River Lines, Inc.
3131 May Road
Peru, IL 61354
Coach USA/Van Galder
715 S Pearl Street
Janesville, WI 53548
Windstar Lines Inc.
1903 N US Highway 71
Carroll, IA 51401
If the above-contracted vendors are not able to meet desired travel requirements or other circumstances necessitate, departments may make arrangements with other vendors to provide service on the requested date, provided the total cost per trip is under the current fiscal year bid limit for supplies or services. Quotes should be obtained using the same information as described above for the contracted vendors and should be routed to Procurement using P2PO to obtain a purchase order.
In addition, the department must request a copy of the vendor's certificate of liability insurance listing the Board of Trustees of the Northern Illinois University as additional insured. In order to do business with the university, the vendor must provide:
Carrier and its subcontractors at all times during the term and each renewal period thereof, must, at their own expense, secure and deliver to the university not less than fifteen (15) days prior to the commencement of the term or each renewal period thereof, shall keep in force, at least the following insurance coverage with companies having an A.M. Best rating of A-, IV or better, and in the following amounts:
- Commercial general liability insurance with limits of no less than $1,000,000 for bodily injury and $1,000,000 for property damage.
- commercial automobile liability insurance covering all owned, non-owned, or hired automobiles, with coverage for at least $5 million combined single limit bodily injury and property damage. Coverage shall not exclude passengers and shall include appropriate coverage for uninsured and underinsured motorists.
- Workers' compensation Insurance with statutory limits, and employer's liability insurance with limits of no less than $1 million; and an umbrella policy with limits of an additional $5 million.
- The above-stated policies must include a waiver of all rights of subrogation and other rights in favor of Northern Illinois University; and The Board of Trustees of Northern Illinois University, Northern Illinois University and its trustees, officers, employees and agents shall be named as additional insured thereunder on a primary and non-contributory basis.
Note: Any request for charter bus service exceeding the current fiscal year bid limit with any vendor other than those specified above must be competitively bid. The department must contact Procurement.