Campus Mail performs the following tasks
- Receives and sorts incoming U.S. mail for delivery to university departments
- Processes outgoing US mail generated by university departments
- Sorts for delivery university inter-office mail
- Maintains inventory of US postage stamps for sale to university departments
- Bills university departments for postage costs associated with outgoing mail
Mail sent to the Dorland mail center for processing should be sorted and banded by your office into seven groups
- International mail
- Outgoing meter mail (letters)
- Outgoing meter mail (flats), postcards, outgoing packages
- Special service mail
- Inter-office mail (letters)
- Inter-office mail (flats)
- Forwarded mail
Inter-office mail and forwarded mail do not need a postage charge slip, but the other categories should have a separate postage charge slip attached to each group.
University route drivers and mail expediters pick up and deliver both US stamped mail and inter-office mail. This service is conducted under policies and procedures designed to best serve the entire university. The following policies are outlined to assist in expediting these different types of mail service:
Campus Mail services do not include UPS, FEDEX or other commercial carrier services.
Three-day Mail Delivery
The progressive increase in electronic mail has led to a drastic reduction in the amount of mail the institution receives from the U.S. Postal Service. Because of this, the Materials Management team is transitioning to a three-day-a-week mail delivery system for several departments around campus.
Departments that are not strategically involved in enrollment, recruitment, and financial operations, as well as those which do not receive a significant amount of daily mail, will receive mail on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays.
Departments located in the following areas will not be impacted by the change and will continue to receive mail five-days per week:
- AL Altgeld Hall
- FO Founders Library
- HR Human Resources
- IA Illinois Association of School Business Officials/Public Administration
- LH Lowden Hall
- SR Monat
- NE Neptune
- SP Swen Parson
- WI Williston Hall
Deliveries for departments in other buildings will be on the three-day delivery schedule. Express Mail and Certified Mail will still be delivered to all departments daily.
Those who are associated with impacted departments may still pick up incoming mail, and drop off outgoing mail, Monday through Friday in the Dorland Building between 8 a.m. and 4 p.m. Departments may also request the Materials Management team pick up large mailings, when necessary.
For more information please read our frequently asked questions.