Student Life at NIU
Students who register early:
- are more likely to get into the classes they need
- stay on track for graduation
- qualify for scholarships and financial aid that require students to be enrolled.
Courses and Programs
- Review the current Academic Course Listings
- Search the Academic Catalogs.
- Review the Four-Year Degree Paths.
- Join the University Honors program.
- Apply to Study Abroad in one 75 different countries.
- Create an academic experience as unique as you are, with the NIU Plus Program.
- Prepare for a career in education with Educator Licensure and Preparation.
- Find research and service learning opportunities through the Office of Student Engagement and Experiential Learning.
- Get help from your Academic Advisor.
- Meet with a tutor.
- Make an appointment at the University Writing Center.
- Find supportive programming just for you through the First- and Second-Year Experience.
- Find supportive programming just for you through the CHANCE Program.
- Find supportive programming just for you through the Student-Athlete Academic Support Services (SAASS).
- Prepare for career success at Career Services.
- Find Financial Aid and Scholarship information.
- Plan for your future with our tuition cost estimator.
- Learn about the types of Financial Aid you might be eligible to receive.
- Apply for Scholarships with MyScholarships (formerly AcademicWorks).
- View Bursar billing and refund information.
- Learn about Federal Work Study opportunities.
- Find an on-campus job.
- Find, join and create Student Organizations.
- Connect with NIU’s community of First-Generation students.
- Learn more about Fraternity and Sorority Life.
- Find your home away from home at our Cultural Resource Centers.
- Give back through Community Service.
- Stay active with a Sport Club.
- Join an intramural sports program.
- Hungry? Find out where to eat with Campus Dining Services.
- Get your frequently asked questions about housing answered.
- Learn about enrolling your child in Campus Child Care.
- Walk-in or schedule an appointment at Counseling and Consultation Services.
- Seek community support through one of our Cultural Resource Centers.
- Schedule a Health Services appointment.
- Contact University Police and Public Safety.
- Visit the Disability Resource Center for guidance, services and resources to help you succeed.
- Review the Sexual Misconduct Prevention and Resources available.
Policies and Reporting
- Military and Post-Traditional Student Services, is focused on students who live off campus, commute from home, have children, are military students, are online learners and/or over the age of 24.
NIU Dean of Students
Join the Fun
With over 300 student organizations and endless activities, you can easily find the perfect fit for your interests.
Get out there and be a part of the Huskie campus community!