NIU Grounds is responsible for the overall maintenance of the NIU main campus to provide an attractive, enjoyable and safe environment for students, faculty, staff
- Control of litter and coordination of trash receptacle pickup
- Cleaning of streets, sidewalks, and parking lots
- Paving and patching of streets
- Maintenance of athletic fields
- Maintenance of lawns and plant material (including mowing, trimming, and weeding)
- Replacing trees, shrubs
- Exterior pest control
- Greenhouse services
Planting, removing and replacing trees, shrubs and flowers, and site work including sodding, seeding and renovation of turf.
Snow and ice removal for sidewalks, roads, delivery and unloading zones, and parking lots.Note: Generally, the Building Services Department (815-753-1147) sweeps or shovels snow from building entrances and connecting walks, spreads ice melts as needed.
- Special campus events held on NIU grounds
- Special events held on NIU grounds by various organizations
- Support services for NIU craft and other NIU service departments
- Provision of barricades, fencing, and trash barrels