An emergency is a serious, unexpected, and often dangerous situation requiring immediate action. The NIU Department of Police and Public Safety wants you to know that if you need to report an emergency, call 911 immediately.
Here are some important things to know in case of a 911 emergency:
- If you see a crime is in progress, call 911 immediately.
- If you are the victim of the crime, call 911 as soon as it is safe to do so.
- If you see a police officer and need help, feel free to approach the officer to request assistance. In the event of an ongoing incident, the police must stop the threat; so they might only speak with you very briefly before moving to address the threat.
- During an emergency that affects an entire area, it is important that you do not overload the 911 system with non-emergency calls.
When you call 911:
- Please note: Cellular 911 calls may not always be routed to the NIU Police due to cellular tower 911 configurations.
- Stay on the line with the dispatcher.
- Provide the address of the building involved and your exact location. This is especially critical if you are calling from a cell phone.
- Provide a thorough description of the incident and individuals involved such as clothing, height, weight and direction of travel to ensure proper resources are dispatched.
- Do not hang up until the dispatcher tells you to do so.
Important Phone Numbers
|University Police Non-Emergency Number||815-753-1212|
|Counseling and Student Development||815-753-1206|
|Employee Assistance Program||815-753-9191|
|Human Resource Services||815-753-6000|
|Huskie Student Patrol||815-753-1212|
|Work Request Desk for utility outages||815-753-1741|
- Emergency Information
- Report an Emergency
- Emergency Versus Non-Emergency
- NIU Emergency Response Guide
- NIU Safety Notifications
- Register for Safety Notifications
- Update Your Emergency Contact Information
- NIU Weather Information
- Illinois Road Conditions
- Illinois Emergency Management Agency
- Federal Emergency Management Agency
- Department of Homeland Security
May 11, 2023
UPDATE - Community Awareness Bulletin - Shooting - 400 Block of Russell Road - Off-Campus
May 06, 2023
SAFETY WARNING - Aggravated Assault - 200 block University Circle Drive/ 900 Block West Lincoln Highway - One on and One off campus