Complaint Resolution

Northern Illinois University is committed to building an enhanced campus community and encourages all students to adhere to the Student Code of Conduct. The Northern Pact encompasses principles that outline the expectations of the Northern Illinois University community.

Registering a Complaint with NIU

Links to additional information for student grievances and complaints within NIU are provided below:

In addition to the above, all NIU students have access to the Ombudsperson, who provides students with guidance to help solve a variety of university-related issues or conflicts.

External Resources

If a complaint can't be resolved by the university, the student may file it with an external organization.

Illinois Board of Higher Education

The Illinois Board of Higher Education (IBHE) has the responsibility and authority to resolve complaints against Illinois Institutions. Students may file a complaint with the IBHE via the online complaint system.

The Higher Learning Commission

Students may file a complaint with Northern Illinois University’s institutional accrediting body by contacting The Higher Learning Commission.

Out-of-state Distance Learners

Registering a Non-instructional Complaint

The State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement (SARA) is a national initiative that increases student access to distance education courses and programs while maintaining compliance with state regulations. Northern Illinois University is approved to offer online programs under the National Council for State Authorization Reciprocity Agreements (NC-SARA) in all U.S. states. For out-of-state students who reside in SARA states (all states except California) the Illinois Board of Higher Education (IBHE) has jurisdiction over Illinois SARA-approved institutions including NIU in relation to non-instructional complaints. Prior to registering a complaint with the IBHE, the student/complainant must make all attempts to resolve the matter directly with the institution.

State of Residence

Students may also file a complaint with their state of residence. State contact information is provided that lists appropriate contacts from each state in which a student may file a complaint.

We can help!

We are here to help you find the information you need. Use our A-Z Index or the Directory to find contact information for specific departments.

Back to top