Having issues with your computer or mobile device? The ResTech Helpdesk assists students living in the residence halls and Northern View Community with a variety of issues and provides helpful information for using technology on campus. Visit the ResTech Helpdesk for the following services:
- Support for PCs, mobile devices, digital media players, consoles and PC gaming
- Malware and virus removal
- NIU Wireless support
- Broadband / Ethernet (wired) connection support
- Cable TV support
Are Your Devices Ready For NIU?
To ensure that you'll have the best experience possible, we expect you to prepare your personal devices prior to arriving on campus.
- Make sure your operating system is configured for automatic updates.
- Install antivirus software and make sure it's configured for automatic updates. You should only have one antivirus product on your computer at a time.
- To use the wired connection in your room, you will need to purchase your own Ethernet cable. You can use an unmanaged hub or switch to connect more than one network device to a jack.
- To use NIU Wireless, your devices must support WPA Enterprise and PEAP/EAP-MSCHAPv2 authentication. Learn more about internet options available in the residence halls.
We're here to help! If you have any questions about getting your device ready for NIU, contact the ResTech Helpdesk.
- Copyright and File Sharing Facts - To comply with the Higher Education Opportunity Act, colleges and universities, including NIU, must address copyright infringement and illegal file sharing issues on campus.
- Safe Computing
- Acceptable Use Policy
- Student Technology Guide - Getting started with email, Office 365 and more at NIU.