Mission and Vision
Housing and Residential Services is committed to providing a safe, supportive, and educationally empowering community where students can learn, grow, and be successful within a complex and diverse world. Through our facilities, programs, and the collaborative efforts of our staff, student leaders, and campus partners, we promote respect, individuality, and personal responsibility.
- To provide reasonably priced living environments that are clean, attractive, well maintained, comfortable, and include contemporary safety features supported by systematic operations.
- To ensure the orderly and effective administration of Housing and Residential Services through continuous assessment and sound fiscal management with an emphasis on student-centered decision-making for both current and future residents.
- To provide an environment that promotes learning and growth in the broadest sense, through programs, services, training, and technology, an emphasis on academic success, student engagement, and personal responsibility.
- To provide a variety of nutritious and pleasing meals, in pleasant surroundings, at a reasonable cost.
- To provide service that satisfies the needs of the Housing and Residential Services customer in a courteous, informative, efficient, and effective manner.
Housing and Residential Services students, staff, and visitors hold a shared responsibility to work towards inclusiveness, educational equality, and ongoing personal growth. We value mutual respect and we embrace those around us for who they are.
We understand that individuals living and working in our communities bring values from their personal background, and we offer a safe space and opportunity to learn and grow from our diversity.
It is the responsibility of all community members and visitors to be respectful and approach others with understanding.
Diversity of race, ethnicity, culture, gender, class, religion, nationality, sexual orientation, gender identity, sex, veteran status, ability, age, and student status makes our communities thrive; not understanding another’s identity is not a reason to be disrespectful to a student, staff member, or visitor.
In our commitment to growth and understanding, we provide an environment that is educationally supportive so students can persist in meeting their academic and personal goals, while building lifelong skills to be successful in a complex and diverse world.
Residential Curriculum Pillars
Through the experience of living on campus at NIU, students have the unique opportunity to participate and gain experience in intentional communities. Housing and Residential Services staff aid in the educational partnership with our students to achieve the following learning outcomes:
- Develop and practice cultural competence.
- Understand and advance career learning.
- Contribute actively through community engagement.
- Advance in personal growth and development.