We provide convenient laundry facilities in each residence hall. A wash cycle costs $2.00 and dry cycles are free. Laundry services are paid for using Huskie Bucks on your OneCard.
How Laundry Works
- Add funds to your Huskie Bucks account. You'll use Huskie Bucks to pay for laundry.
- Make sure you have your NIU OneCard with you.
- In the laundry room, find an available washer and put your clothes in.
- Find the payment station, swipe your OneCard, and select the washer number. Each wash cycle costs $2.00 which is deducted from your Huskie Bucks account.
- When your wash cycle is done, take your clothes out and put them in an available dryer.
- Press the start button on the dryer. Dry cycles are free and unlimited!
Find available washers and dryers right from your room.
- Detergent: Since these are high efficiency washers, you only need to use a 1/4 cup of high-efficiency laundry detergent in a wash cycle. Liquid detergent will produce better results than powder detergent. Heavily soiled spots and stains should be treated with liquid detergent or a pre-treatment stain remover to prevent them from permanently remaining on clothing.
- Sort laundry thoughtfully: Clothing with dark dyes can stain other clothing. Sometimes new blue jeans can do this as well. Wash clothes with like colors and be mindful of water temperature.
- Check your pockets: Loose items can be lost in the wash or can cause damage to clothing and machines. Open hooks and zippers can latch on other clothing and cause your clothes to tear. Before washing your clothes, check for items in pockets, loose buttons, and open hooks or zippers.
- Load machines only to capacity: Clothing should be placed loosely in the machine and only within the designated capacity. Damage can be caused to clothing and the machines if they are overloaded. Packing clothing tightly can result in clothes not being properly washed.
For more tips on doing your laundry, check out Laundry 101.
Campus Laundry Solutions maintains NIU's washers and dryers. As a liaison between you and CSC, Housing works diligently to process the service requests reported by residents. If you have any other questions, contact the Work Request Office at 815-753-4948.