Mail and Packages
When you live on campus, you can pick up mail 24/7 at your own mailbox (or a shared mailbox if you have a roommate) in your residence hall.
How Mail Works
- Mail and packages arrive at your hall. Mail is delivered Monday through Saturday (except holidays) while classes are in session.
- We put any mail into your mailbox in the lobby of your hall. If you receive a package, a perishable item or something else that doesn't fit in your mailbox, you'll receive an email notification from us at your student email address saying that a package is ready to pick up.
- Use your room key to open your mailbox, or stop by the front desk and present your NIU OneCard to pick up any packages waiting for you.
When you move out of the residence halls, we'll forward USPS mail to the permanent address you have listed in MyNIU. Packages from private delivery services like UPS, FedEx, DHL or Amazon will get returned to sender.
Look Up Your Mailing Address
[Hall] [Room] [Street Address]
DeKalb, IL 60115
New Hall East 114G1
501 North Annie Glidden Rd.
DeKalb, IL 60115
Items Not Accepted
- Mail or packages not addressed to current residents. (Mail will be forwarded to the permanent address on file in MyNIU and packages will be returned to sender.)
- Postage due letters or COD packages.
- Personal deliveries of packages.
- Personal items to be "held" for a resident, like coats, bags or keys.
- Letters or flyers that do not come through the U.S. Postal Service.
- Political materials.
- Commercial advertisements.
- Advertising co-sponsored by a student organization.
- Items received for commercial use purposes that are contrary to residence hall policy.
Mail Arriving Shortly Before Move-in Day
- If it arrives on or after the Friday prior to move-in day: Mail and packages addressed to fall residents will be delivered to mailboxes in each residence hall.
- If it arrives before the Friday prior to move-in day: USPS mail addressed to fall residents will be forwarded to the permanent address listed in MyNIU and packages from services like UPS, FedEx, DHL or Amazon will be returned to sender.
Mail and packages are delivered to current residents. USPS mail addressed to former residents will be forwarded to the permanent address on file in MyNIU. Packages from services like UPS, FedEx, DHL or Amazon that are addressed to former residents will be returned to sender. Front desks may have limited hours during breaks. Contact your hall's front desk for hours.
USPS mail will be distributed daily in the halls that are open during winter break except on Sundays and official holidays. Front desks in these halls will have limited hours for package pickup. Private delivery services like UPS, FedEx, DHL or Amazon will not typically make deliveries during winter break.
Thanksgiving and Spring Break
USPS mail will be delivered to current residents. Delivery from private services like UPS, FedEx, DHL or Amazon may be impacted. Front desks may have limited hours during breaks. Contact your hall's front desk for hours.