If you get married or enter a civil union partnership, it's considered a qualifying change in status. It allows you to:

  • Add coverage for your spouse or civil union partner, as well as stepchildren or the children of the civil union partner
  • Increase or decrease your optional life insurance coverage
  • Add spouse or child life insurance
  • Opt out of health, life or dental coverage
  • Opt back in to group insurance coverage if you previously opted out

You must notify the agency of the marriage or civil union partnership in writing within 60 days. You'll need to provide the marriage or civil union partnership certificate to add insurance coverage. See suggested updates.

Suggested Updates

When a life change occurs, it's important to update your information and benefits to meet your new needs.

Personal Information

Submit changes to your name or address with the Personal Data - Name Address Form (XLS).

Paycheck and Tax Exemptions

If your marital status or number of dependents changes, adjust your tax exemptions on your paycheck by submitting updated federal and Illinois W-4 forms.

If your bank account changes, log into MyNIU to make updates to your direct deposit information.

Retirement Benefits

Update beneficiary information for your State University Retirement System (SURS) pension online or by calling 1-800-275-7877.

You should also update your beneficiary information with your supplemental retirement plan provider. 

Insurance Benefits

Call us at 815-753-6000 to add or remove insurance coverage. You may need to supply a birth or adoption certificate, Social Security number, death certificate or obituary, divorce decree, or other document.

Life Insurance

Update beneficiary information for your life insurance through Central Management Services.

Submit a claim through Human Resource Services to Securian Financial. You'll need to supply a copy of the death certificate or obituary.

Disclaimer: The information contained in the Life Events section is a summary and may not include all conditions, limitations, or exceptions that may be applicable to a particular situation. Every effort has been made to present current information without inaccuracies; however, errors, additions, deletions, and changes in the laws or procedures may occur and could make the information out of date or inaccurate. Therefore, users of this website are advised of their responsibility to contact the HRS Service Center (815-753-6000) directly for specific information relating to benefits and to confirm the accuracy and completeness of the posted information.

Back to top