When you adopt a child, you can add them to your insurance, take time off work and make use of child care resources on campus.

You may receive financial assistance from Central Management Services through the Adoption Benefit Program.

Insurance Coverage

The adoption of a child is a qualifying change in status. It allows you to add health, dental, vision and child life insurance. You can also increase your optional life insurance coverage, with statement of health approval.

To add insurance coverage, you must notify the agency within 60 days of the placement of your child, the filing of the adoption petition or the entry of the adoption order.

You'll need to provide a copy of the adoption certificate and your child's Social Security number (when received).

Taking Time Off Work

You can take time off work to care for your child:

If you're a faculty member, please review the Extension of the Tenure Probationary Period Policy.

Campus Resources

Our Child Development and Family Center provides care for the children of employees, students and community members.

We provide campus nursing and lactation spaces. You may wish to review our workplace breastfeeding policy.

There are also many diaper-changing stations on campus.

Suggested Updates

When a life change occurs, it's important to update your information and benefits to meet your new needs.

Personal Information

Submit changes to your name or address with the Personal Data - Name Address Form (XLS).

Paycheck and Tax Exemptions

If your marital status or number of dependents changes, adjust your tax exemptions on your paycheck by submitting updated federal and Illinois W-4 forms.

If your bank account changes, log into MyNIU to make updates to your direct deposit information.

Retirement Benefits

Update beneficiary information for your State University Retirement System (SURS) pension online or by calling 1-800-275-7877.

You should also update your beneficiary information with your supplemental retirement plan provider. 

Insurance Benefits

Call us at 815-753-6000 to add or remove insurance coverage. You may need to supply a birth or adoption certificate, Social Security number, death certificate or obituary, divorce decree, or other document.

Life Insurance

Update beneficiary information for your life insurance through Central Management Services.

Submit a claim through Human Resource Services to Securian Financial. You'll need to supply a copy of the death certificate or obituary.

Disclaimer: The information contained in the Life Events section is a summary and may not include all conditions, limitations, or exceptions that may be applicable to a particular situation. Every effort has been made to present current information without inaccuracies; however, errors, additions, deletions, and changes in the laws or procedures may occur and could make the information out of date or inaccurate. Therefore, users of this website are advised of their responsibility to contact the HRS Service Center (815-753-6000) directly for specific information relating to benefits and to confirm the accuracy and completeness of the posted information.

Back to top