Student Employee Payroll and Time Sheets

You'll be paid twice a month:

  • The 15th (or the prior business day, if the 15th falls on a weekend or holiday).
  • The last business day of the month.

On each payday, you can view your paycheck online in MyNIU.

Please note: The required hiring forms must be completed before you can be paid.

Pay Distribution

You'll be paid via direct deposit. You can request a temporary exemption to this from the payroll office. If we produce a paper paycheck for you, you can pick it up between 8 a.m.-4 p.m. on payday in our service center in Swen Parson Hall. You must show identification. Make arrangements with your supervisor so you're not picking it up on work time. If you don't pick it up, we'll mail it to the home address we have on file for you.


We're required to include deductions from all federal and state taxes. If you're enrolled for at least six hours in the fall and spring, and three hours in the summer, you're exempt from paying FICA taxes.

General Student Employment

Time Sheets

Unless your department uses a time clock, you're responsible for tracking your work hours on the Salaried Non-exempt/Hourly Time Sheet and Benefit Usage Report. You're not allowed to work during scheduled classes or examinations.

  • Report your time to the nearest one hundredth (.01) of an hour.
  • Include any overtime on the appropriate line.
  • Complete and sign your time sheet, then have your supervisor sign it. Unsigned time sheets delay payroll processing.
  • Use only the time sheet on the Human Resource Services website. Substitutes aren't accepted.
  • Never sign a blank time sheet. Both you and your supervisor should initial all changes to the hours on the time sheet.

Work Hour Limitations

You can work a maximum of 20 hours per week while classes are in session. This includes hours at all your on-campus jobs. The limit may be increased if an excess hour permit has been approved. If you're not in good academic standing, your hours may be reduced.

During academic breaks while the university is open, you can work up to 25 hours a week.

During the summer, you can work:

  • 20 hours a week, if you're taking three or more credit hours (unless an excess hour permit has been approved).
  • 25 hours a week, if you're not taking a class and meet eligibility requirements.

You may not be scheduled to work or be paid overtime. If you inadvertently work more than 7.5 hours in one day, you must be compensated at the rate of one and one-half times the regular rate.

International Students

If you're an international student, you can work up to 20 hours a week, including during vacation periods. This includes hours from all your on-campus jobs.

During the summer, you can work up to 25 hours a week, if you're not taking a class. If you're enrolled, you can work 20 hours a week.

Graduate Assistantships

Work Hour Limitations

You can work only the number of hours specified in your appointment:

  • Full-time (50% FTE): 20 hours per week.
  • Three-quarter (37% FTE): 15 hours per week.
  • Half-time (25% FTE): 10 hours per week.

If you hold two graduate assistantships with overlapping terms of appointment, they must be half-time during the overlap. The total hours must not exceed 20 per week.

International Students

If you're an international student with a graduate assistantship, you can work up to 20 hours a week, including during vacation periods. This includes hours at all your on-campus positions.

Questions about Graduate Assistantships

When will taxes be withheld from my paycheck?

The university will begin withholding for all tuition waived and projected to be waived for the remainder of the calendar year as soon as possible. This is being done to minimize the impact of the additional income tax withholding on the individual. If the university were to wait until the $5,250 limitation is reached, it is possible that the additional taxable income would result in the graduate assistant not receiving any net pay. Graduate Assistants who are not projected to exceed the $5,250 limitation will not be taxed.

How is the amount of withholding determined?

The tuition waiver amount in excess of the $5,250 exclusion will be taxed based on the individual current withholding as provided on the W-4 form. Employees wanting to change their withholding can do so by submitting an updated W-4 form to Human Resource Services.

Go to forms page.

Will the taxes withheld be reported on my W-2 form?

Yes, both the amount of taxable income (amount exceeding the $5,250) associated with the waiver and the individual withholdings will be reported on the W-2. The University will also report the withholdings to the IRS.

Back to top