Central Advising Office
If you're interested in engineering or engineering technology, we'll help you get started on your academic journey. We can help you understand course and degree requirements, explore majors and minors, and connect with academic and career resources.
We also offer tutoring services to engineering and engineering technology students, especially those new to NIU. We can help ease your transition to campus.
You'll meet with one of our professional advisors each semester before registering for classes. Once you declare a major and meet the following math requirement, you'll meet with a faculty advisor instead:
- Engineering department majors: earn a C or better in MATH 230 (Calculus II).
- Engineering Technology department majors: earn a C or better in MATH 155 (Trigonometry).
For more information, contact us at 815-753-8024 or email@example.com.
We're currently holding virtual advising appointments on Microsoft Teams. For the best experience, we recommend downloading the Teams app to your laptop or desktop computer.
Each semester, we'll send information to your NIU email account about scheduling your advising appointment. You can also contact us at any time to set up an appointment. You must attend this appointment before you can register for classes.
Before your appointment, check your Academics Requirement Report in MyNIU to see your degree progress. Think of questions to ask your advisor on topics such as degree requirements, potential minors, summer classes and internships.
If you're assigned to one of our professional advisors, you can make an appointment to request a course withdrawal:
- Visit go.niu.edu/navigate and click Navigate Login.
- Enter your Z-ID and password. The screen should say Student Home at the top. If it says Staff Home, click the dropdown to select Student Home.
- Click Schedule an Appointment. Select appointment type (NIU Advising), reason for appointment, location (Engineering Building 130, Central Advising Office), and your advisor's name.
- Choose appointment date and time.
- Enter comments under Additional Details on the confirmation screen, then click Confirm Appointment.
If you have a faculty advisor, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org about requesting a course withdrawal.
Please note: Seeking a course withdrawal could impact your degree progress, current schedule, full-time status and/or financial aid.
- Academic Calendar
- Bursars Office
- Course Catalog
- Course Registration Dates/Times
- CEET Tutoring Center (EB 141)
- Financial Aid and Scholarship Office
- Four-year degree paths
- Huskie Academic Support Center
- LinkedIn Learning
- Password Self Service
- Schedule of Classes
- Student Affairs
- Transfer Credits
- 2+2 Transfer Guides
- Major Advising Resources
- Project Lead the Way (PLTW)
|Carolyn Canon||Office Manageremail@example.com||EB 138|
|Laura Lagreid||Academic Advisor (last names H-P)||firstname.lastname@example.org||EB 138|
|Rachel Lower||Academic Advisor (last names Q-Z)||email@example.com||EB 140|
|Mark Pietrowski||Director/Advisor for CEET undecided firstname.lastname@example.org||EB 126|
|Erica McFarland||Academic Advisor (last names A-G)||email@example.com||EB 136|