William J. Mills, Ph.D., CIH
|Office Location:||SG 211C|
Universityof Illinois at Chicago, School of Public Health, Environmental & Occupational Health Sciences (2001)
- M.S. in Chemistry, McMaster University (1985)
- B.S. in Chemistry, Trent University (1983)
Additional undergraduate and graduate level coursework in chemistry (completed Ph.D. coursework requirements in organic chemistry), mathematics, chemical and environmental engineering at
- Exposure Assessment and Dose Reconstruction
- Real-time Sensor Technologies
- Exposure Control Methodologies
- Environmental Fate & Transport: Measurement and Modeling
- Workplace Ergonomics: Assessment and Modeling Methods
- Pollution Control Technologies and Sustainability
- Statistical Data Analysis and Data Visualization
- Science Education
- "Potential for re-use of
Research and Artistry Award e-Plastics,"NIU
- "Building Environmental, Health, Safety and Sustainability (EHSS) in Very Small Businesses," Illinois Manufacturing Extension Center
- "Formulations Review and Audit Report," PetAg Inc.
- "Atmospheric Emissions of PCB from Sludge Drying Beds" USEPA Region V
- "Evaluation of PCBs on BPX-90 Column," SGE Inc.
- "Support for Chemical Terrorism Analytical Activities," Illinois Department of Public Health
Selected Journal Papers
- Toluene and Methyl Ethyl Ketone Exposure from a Commercially Available Contact Adhesive, William J. Mills, Benjamin A. Grigg, Francis Offerman, Barry E. Gustin, Neil E.
Springarn, J. Env. Occup. Hygiene. 9:5, D95-D102, 2012
- Environmental Release of Dioxins from Reservoir Sources during Beach Nourishment Programs, Yves Tondeur, Bryan
Vining,,Kimberly Mace, William Mills, Jerry Hart. Chemosphere: 88(1), 358-363, 2012
- Emissions of Polychlorinated Biphenyls (PCBs) from Sludge Drying Beds to the Atmosphere in Chicago, Yi, S.,
Pagilla, S.R.R., Holsen, T., Mills, W. J., Chemosphere, Apr;71(6):1028-34, 2008.
Conference Proceedings and Presentations
- Remote Sensor Piconet-II, J. Lamantia, M. Mougin, J. Rodriguez K. Tsui and W. Mills, ASEE PDC 2015, Dallas, TX, June 2015.
- Remote Sensor Piconet-II, J. Lamantia, M. Mougin, J. Rodriguez K. Tsui and W. Mills, AIHCE 2015, Salt Lake
City ,UT, June 2015.
- Real-time Particulate Monitoring. American Industrial Hygiene Conference And Exposition, PDC 415, Salt Lake City, May 31, 2015.
- PCB Health Assessments: When to Use Which Analytical Methodology, SGS Ultratrace Workshop, Wilmington, DE, April 29, 2015.
Lightand Safety: Considerations for the Construction Industry, Chicago Construction Safety Association, Hilllside, IL April 24, 2015.
- Remote Sensor
Piconet-II, ,J. Lamantia, M. Mougin, J. Rodriguez K. Tsui and W. Mills, AIHA Chicago Section Student Night, Countryside, IL, February 18, 2015.
Lightand Safety, Three Rivers Chapter, ASSE meeting, Lisle, IL November 14, 2014.
- Fatigue and Safety, Stateline Chapter, American Society of Safety Engineers (ASSE) Meeting, Rockford, IL, October 27, 2014.
- The Use of Ergonomic Software to Evaluate and Prevent Musculoskeletal Disorders
(MSDs),UnniSG, Mills WJ. American Society of Safety Engineers (ASSE) PDC 2014, Orlando, FL: June 2014.
- Real-time Particulate Monitoring. American Industrial Hygiene Conference And Exposition, PDC 424, San Antonio, TX, May 30, 2014.
- Building Environmental Health & Safety In the Very Small Manufacturer, Misch M, Mills W, Hogan T., American Industrial Hygiene Association (AIHA) Chicago Section Student Night. Countryside, IL.
- Real-time Particulate Monitoring. American Industrial Hygiene Conference And Exposition, PDC 415, Montreal, QC, May 19, 2013.
- Exploratory Data Analysis, Stationary Source Sampling & Analysis of Air Pollutants, Hilton Head, SC, March 28, 2013.
- Respiratory Hazards in Abrasive Blasting, Safety in Abrasive Blasting Webinar Series, JPCL, March 27, 2013.
- Improvements to Industrial Hygiene and Source Testing Methods for Perfluorochemicals methods for Perfluorochemicals, W. Mills, B. Grigg, X. Zhu, G. Olden, P-1535, 30th International Symposium on Halogenated Persistent Organic Pollutants (POPs) - Dioxin 2010, San Antonio, TX. Sept 12-17, 2010.
- PCBs in Whole Blood and Serum of a Chicago Population, U. Nguyen, W. Mills, 30th International Symposium on Halogenated Persistent Organic Pollutants (POPs) - Dioxin 2010, San Antonio, TX. Sept 12-17, 2010.
- Sources of Error in Sampling and Analysis of PCBs in Indoor Air, K. Hilst, W. Mills, 30th International Symposium on Halogenated Persistent Organic Pollutants (POPs) - Dioxin 2010, San Antonio, TX. Sept 12-17, 2010.
- Sources of Errors in Clinical Chemical Analysis of PCBs and Recommended Practices to Avoid Them, W. Mills, Y. Tondeur, J. Hart, D. Patterson, A. DeCaprio. 30th International Symposium on Halogenated Persistent Organic Pollutants (POPs) - Dioxin 2010, San Antonio, TX. Sept 12-17, 2010.
- Statistical Comparisons of PCB NHANES Data from 1999-2000, 2001-2002, and 2003-04, U. Nguyen, W. Mills, 30th International Symposium on Halogenated Persistent Organic Pollutants (POPs) - Dioxin 2010, San Antonio, TX. Sept 12-17, 2010.
- Environmental Release of Dioxins From Reservoir Sources During Beach Nourishment Programs, Y. Tondeur, B. Vining, K. Mace1, W. Mills and J. Hart. 30th International Symposium on Halogenated Persistent Organic Pollutants (POPs) - Dioxin 2010, San Antonio, TX. Sept 12-17, 2010.
Professional Associations and Honors
- American Society of Safety Engineers (ASSE)
- Faculty advisor NIU ASSE Student Chapter
- American Industrial Hygiene Association (AIHA)
Real timedetection systems committee (RTSDC) member
- ISO 17025 Assessor (inactive)
- Student advisor
- American Board of Industrial Hygiene (ABIH)
- Certified Industrial Hygienist
- American Chemical Society (ACS)
- ASTM International
- D22 Committee member
- ISO TAG WG3 participant
- Association of Official Analytical Chemists (AOAC)
- Association of the Chemical Profession of Ontario (ACPO)
- Chartered Chemist
- Canadian Association for Laboratory Accreditation (CALA)
- Lead Assessor ISO-17025
- Phi Kappa Phi Honor Society - Lifetime Member
- Source Evaluation Society (SES)-inactive
- Stack Testing Accreditation Council-inactive
- American Institute of Chemical Engineers (AIChE)-inactive
- American Association for Clinical Chemistry (AACC)-inactive
- American Association for Laboratory Accreditation (A2LA)-inactive
- ISO-17025, 17043, G34 Assessor
- Department of Technology, NIU (2013-present)
- Clarkson University, Center for the Environment, Potsdam, New York (Visiting Research Professor 2008-present)
- Trent University, Environmental and Life Sciences Graduate Program, Peterborough, Canada, (Research Associate, 2002-2014)
Universityof Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, Illinois: Forensic Sciences Program (Adjunct Assistant Professor, 2005-2008) and Environmental and Occupational Health Sciences, School of Public Health (Adjunct Assistant Professor, 2001- 2005)
- Mills Consulting, Inc., Oak Park, Illinois, Chief Scientist and President (2000 - present)
- United Nations University-International Network for Water, Environment & Health, Project Manager (1999-2000)
- Canadian Energy Research Institute/Canadian International Development Agency (CERI/CIDA), Consultant on PCB Management Issues (1998-2000)
- Morton International, Coatings Division, Chicago, Illinois, Environmental, Health & Safety Coordinator (1997-1999)
- Woodward-Clyde Consultants (WCC) Chicago, Illinois, Senior Project Scientist, Project Manager (1995 to 1997)
- Woodward-Clyde Federal Services (WCFS), Rockville, Maryland, Air Quality and Pollution Control Department Manager (1993-1994) and Chemistry Department Manager and Senior Project Chemist (1991-1993)
- Proctor and Redfern Ltd. (now AECOM), Toronto, Canada, Shareholder, Project Manager and Senior Environmental Chemist (1989-1991)
- Sanexen International, Toronto, Canada, Senior Chemist (1988-1989)
- Ontario Ministry of the Environment (MOE), Toronto, Canada, Senior Mobile Monitoring Analyst (1987-1988)
- DF Metal Products, Ottawa, Canada, Chemical Consultant (1987)
- Environmental Emergencies Technology Division, Environment Canada, Ottawa, Canada, Chemical Consultant (1986-1987)
- Carleton University (1985-86), McMaster University (1983-85), Trent University (1983) Teaching Assistant and Research Assistant (1983-1986)
- Canadian Department of Fisheries and Oceans, Ontario, Canada, Chemical Technician (1982)