Shi-Jie (Gary) Chen, Ph.D.
|Department:||Industrial and Systems Engineering|
|Office Location:||EB 234|
- Ph.D. in Industrial Engineering, State University of New York at Buffalo (1999)
- Healthcare Systems Engineering
- Lean Manufacturing
- Concurrent Engineering and Management
- Project Team Management
- Production Systems
- Powertrain Assembly Lean Manufacturing Project, sponsored by Caterpillar Inc.
- Optimizing paint shop flow for Mi-Jack Products Inc.
- Lean process improvement for CGH Medical Center
Professional Associations and Honors
- Gold Award, IIE Chapter Recognition, Faculty Advisor at Northern Illinois University (2014 and 2017)
- Fourth Place, Alpha Pi Mu Outstanding Chapter Competition, Faculty Advisor at Northern Illinois University (2013)
- Faculty Advisor of IIE Student Chapter, Northern Illinois University (2013- present)
- Faculty Advisor of Alpha Pi Mu Chapter, Northern Illinois University (2007-2011, 2012-2013)
- Innovative Instruction Award, Midwest Decision Sciences Institute (2009)
- Best Paper Award, Midwest Decision Sciences Institute Annual Meeting (2009)
- IE Outstanding Instructor Award, voted by IE students, COE, MSU-Bozeman (2005)
- Most Enthusiastic Professor, recognized by the Alpha Pi Mu student members, MSU-Bozeman (2005)
- IE Outstanding Research Award, COE, MSU-Bozeman (2003, 2005)
- Bronze Award, IIE Chapter Recognition, Faculty Advisor, MSU-Bozeman (2005, 2006)
- Faculty Advisor of IIE Student Chapter, MSU-Bozeman (2001-2007)
- National Science Council (NSC) Research Award, Taiwan (1999, 2000)
- Who’s Who in American Education (2006, 2007); Who’s Who in Science and Engineering (2005, 2006, 2007); Who’s Who in America (2005, 2006, 2013); Who’s Who in the World (2005, 2006, 2012); Who's Who in Engineering Higher Education (2012)
- Member, Alpha Pi Mu, the Industrial Engineering Honor Society (since 1998)
- Member, the Institute of Industrial Engineers
- Gebicki, M., Mooney, E., Chen, S.-J. and Mazur, L., “Evaluation of Hospital Medication Inventory Policies,” Health Care Management Science, Vol. 17, No. 3, pp. 215-229, 2014.
- Chen, S.-J., Mazur, L. and Sąsiadek, M., “Project Task Flow Optimization and Departmental Flow Analysis Using Design Structure Matrix and Genetic Algorithm,” International Journal of Logistics Systems and Management, Vol. 15, No. 1, pp. 68-92, 2013.
- Mazur, L., McCreery, J. and Chen, S.-J., “Quality Improvement in Hospitals: Identifying and Understanding Behaviors,” Journal of Healthcare Engineering, Vol. 3, No. 4, pp. 621-648, 2012.
- Banafsheh, B., Moraga, R. and Chen, S.-J., “Modelling Healthcare Internal Service Supply Chains for the Analysis of Medication Delivery Errors and Amplification Effects,” Journal of Industrial Engineering and Management, Vol. 4, No. 4, pp. 554-576, 2011.
- McFadden, K.L., Chen, S.-J., Munroe, D.J., Naftzger, J.R. and Selinger, E.M. “Creating an Innovative Interdisciplinary Graduate Certificate Program,” Innovative Higher Education, Vol. 36, No. 3, pp. 161-176, 2011.
- Mazur, L. and Chen, S.-J., “A Task-Member Assignment Model for Complex Engineering Projects,” International Journal of Industrial and Systems Engineering, Vol. 7, No. 1, pp. 1-25, 2011.
- Mazur, L. and Chen, S.-J., “Evaluation of Industrial Engineering Students’ Competencies for Process Improvement in Hospitals,” Journal of Industrial Engineering and Management, Vol. 3, No. 3, pp. 603-628, 2010.
- Department of Industrial and Systems Engineering, Northern Illinois University (2007-present)
- Department of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering, Montana State University (2001-2007)
- Department of Industrial Engineering, National Taipei University of Technology, Taiwan (2000-2001)
- Department of Industrial Management, Huafan University, Taiwan (1999-2000)