First-generation College Students
Welcome First Generation College Students!
While going off to college can be challenging for all students, it takes extra courage and determination to be a first generation student. At NIU, you are not alone: more than half of NIU's undergraduate students are among the first generation in their family to attend a four-year college.
Our resources are organized to help you get what you need to lead the life you want today and after college. We are here to help you open doors, connect with NIU's community of first-generation students and with those who will support and encourage you throughout your journey.
Working with current and former first-generation students at NIU, we've put together a guide of some of the most useful programs and services on campus. We've also formed a new support group, Breaking Barriers.
Please take our one question survey to help us better support you.
- Academic Advising
- Academic Regulations
- ACCESS Tutoring and Support Services
- Counseling and Consultative Services
- English as a Second Language (ESL) Center
- Financial Aid and Scholarships
- First-and Second-Year Experience
- Office of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
- Office of the Ombudsperson
- Office of the Bursar
- Writing Center