Counseling and Consultation Services
We provide comprehensive mental health support for currently enrolled students like you at Northern Illinois University. Our team of trained professionals is committed to improving the mental health of our student body as you work to achieve your academic and personal goals.
COVID-19 Update and CCS Support
As NIU continues to respond to COVID-19, Counseling and Consultation Services (CCS) is currently closed for face-to-face appointments and staff are working remotely to provide support.
- If you need counseling or consultation support, please call 815-753-1206. You will have the option to leave a message if you have general questions or speak to a counselor if you need immediate support.
- If you are experiencing a mental health emergency, are concerned about your immediate safety, or are concerned about the immediate safety of others, please call 911.
- If you are currently receiving psychiatry services through NIU Health Services, please call 815-306-2777 to discuss plans for continued appointments.
- CCS has canceled face-to-face group counseling sessions for the remainder of the semester. Group counseling clients will be contacted to discuss support options for the remainder of the semester.
- CCS has canceled outreach services for the remainder of the semester.
Please continue to check your email and the Coronavirus Updates/Campus Operations website for additional updates.
Our On-campus Office Offers
- Counseling Services
- Crisis Services
- Advocacy Services (for sexual assault, dating or domestic violence, and/or stalking support)
- Specialized Services (substance use, eating and body image concerns, and anger)
- Presentations on mental, emotional, and relationship health
- Referral Services to Community Mental Health Resources
CCS Statement of Support
We are aware that events in the news, and events that happen in our political, social and cultural context, impact us in different ways at different times in our lives. We want you to know that we are here for you if you are experiencing such an impact and need a supportive place to discuss your concerns. Please call CCS at 815-753-1206 or walk in to schedule an Initial Consultation.