In addition to the 30 credit hour M.A. program, the Department of History also offers a 36 credit hour M.A. program for students seeking careers in public and private historical societies, archives, museums, research firms, and historical editing. The M.A. Concentration in Public History includes a 12 credit hour sequence of courses that serves as the secondary field.
Internships are the core of the program and are available in a variety of historical agencies within commuting distance of the university and in the Regional History Center on campus. Here are some of the places where NIU students have served internships.
- Veterans Memorial Hall, 211 N. Main Street, Rockford, IL 61101
- NIU Regional History Archives, NIU, DeKalb IL 60115
- Canal Corridor Association, 754 First Street, LaSalle, IL 61301
- Grand Army of the Republic Memorial Museum, 20 E. Downer Place, Aurora, IL 60506
- Sycamore History Museum, 1730 N. Main Street, Sycamore, IL 60178
- Zen Mays Holdings, LLC, Sycamore, IL 60178
- Rockford Art Museum, 711 N. Main Street, Rockford, IL 61103