Welcome to History at NIU! We are a community of scholars committed to studying the past in all its diversity. Our award-winning faculty excels in teaching, research, and engagement. Our students are deeply involved in
Latest Faculty Books
Dr. Emma Kuby has published Political Survivors: The Resistance, the Cold War, and the Fight Against Concentration Camps After 1945 with Cornell University Press.
Dr. Anne Hanley has published The Public Good and the Brazilian State: Municipal Finance and Public Services in São Paulo, 1822-1930 with University of Chicago Press.
- Professor Valerie Garver was awarded a Mercator Fellowship to spend the fall semester at the University of Heidelberg, where she will share her expertise in early medieval material culture with the research group on medieval material text cultures. Her edited volume, A Cultural History of Work: the Medieval Age (800-1450) (Bloomsbury Press), which includes her own piece on "Work, Skill, and Technology," is part of the multivolume work which won the 2020 Prose Award for multivolume reference in the humanities.
- Professor Emma Kuby's book Political Survivors: The Resistance, the Cold War, and the Fight Against Concentration Camps After 1945 has been awarded two prizes: the David H. Pinkney Prize from the Society for French Historical Studies; and the 2020 European Studies Book Award from the Council for European Studies.
- Professor Beatrix Hoffman has received the 2020 Wilma Stricklin Award. The award recognizes exemplary leadership/service resulting in a more favorable campus climate for women.
- Professor Stanley Arnold was interviewed by Rockford NBC affiliate WREX for stories about voter registration and about the protests against police violence against African Americans.
- Professor Beatrix Hoffman wrote an opinion piece for Newsweek about the impact of the coronavirus pandemic on health insurance in the United States. She was also interviewed by Slate about the impact of previous epidemics on Progressive-era debates about collective health security benefits.
Contact UsNorthern Illinois University
Department of History
DeKalb, IL 60115
Faculty and Staff Directory