What to Know About Registration
It’s important to register early for classes. Registering for classes early has many benefits including:
- Increased chance of getting into needed classes.
- Earlier access to financial aid and scholarships.
- Easier to stay on track to graduate.
As you get ready to register, take note of the following:
- You won’t be able to register if there are any registration holds on your account. Holds can be placed for several reasons. Learn more about holds on student accounts.
- Consider your finances and be aware of payment due dates. You may want to enroll in the Huskie Installment Plan to spread your payment over four months.
- It’s a good time to start thinking about course materials. You can buy or rent books and online materials from Huskie Books and Gear.
Parents and Family Members
These tips will help you keep your student’s education on the right path:
- Check in with your student when registration draws near.
- Encourage them to meet with their academic advisor
- Encourage them to find out if there are any holds on their account that would prevent them from registering.
- If you’re helping pay for your student’s education, you’ll want to know about payment due dates. You may benefit from the Huskie Installment Plan, which can help you budget by spreading your payment over four months.
- Talk to your student about Shared Access, a feature of MyNIU that allows you to view financial information and portions of your student’s academic record. Students can provide up to two delegates access to their information.
Faculty and Staff
By taking these actions, you can help students stay on track to graduate:
- Encourage students to meet with their academic advisors before registration begins.
- Post registration flyers and posters in your office or workspace. Contact Renique Kersh at email@example.com to request additional materials.
- Learn about the Huskie Installment Plan, a payment option that students may find helpful. Share information about the plan with students.
- Encourage students with financial concerns to speak with someone in the Financial Aid and Scholarship Office or the Office of the Bursar.
- Direct students to the resources that can help them resolve any holds on their account.
- Download this registration PowerPoint slide and display it at the beginning of your classes.