Theodore J. Hogan, Ph.D., CIH
|Office Location:||SG 321B|
- Ph.D. Public Health (Industrial Hygiene), University of Illinois at Chicago School of Public Health
- M.S. Public Health (Industrial Hygiene), University of Illinois at Chicago, School of Public Health
- B.A. Chemistry, Loyola University of Chicago
- Environmental and Occupational Exposure to Nanoparticles
- Chemical Skin Exposures and Controls
- Environmental Risk Communication
- Chemical Exposure Guidelines
- Evaluation of OSHA 1910.1200 Hazard Classifications for up to 10 Chemical Mixtures, funded by IDEAL Industries Inc.
- Building Environmental, Health, Safety and Sustainability (EHSS) in Very Small Businesses, sponsored by IMEC
- Safety and Industrial Hygiene Assessment and Controls for Aluminum Recycling and Smelting Operations, funded by a Midwest region company
- Practices for Preventing Skin Exposures to Isocyanates and MOCA, sponsored by Polyurethane Manufacturers Association
- MOCA Handling and Skin Exposure, funded by a Texas polyurethane processing company
- Workplace Safety and Dermal Exposure Control Program, funded by a suburban Chicago polyurethane processing company
- Safety Management and Safety Training, funded by a Joliet area cheese company
Professional Associations and Honors
- Threshold Limit Values Chemical Substances Committee, American Conference of Governmental Industrial Hygienists. Member (2012-Present)
- Certified Industrial Hygienist (CIH), #2772, Comprehensive Practice, American Board of Industrial Hygiene (1984, renewed through December 1, 2017)
- Argonne National Laboratories-Institutional Biosafety Committee, Member (2010-Present)
- Occupational Medicine Residency Program, University of Illinois at Chicago, Advisory Committee (1988-present)
- American Industrial Hygiene Association - Chicago Section. Board Member (1986-1989, 1994-1995, 2015-present)
- Industrial Hygiene Core Competency Project, Academy of Industrial Hygiene. (2009-2012)
- American Conference of Governmental Industrial Hygienists, National Board of Directors (2008-2010)
- National Safety Council, Industrial Division, Occupational Health Hazards Committee. Member (1983-1984), Chairman (1985-1987)
Selected Publications and Conference Papers
- Hogan, T.J., Nalbone, J.T.), Threshold Limit Values, The Development Process: A TLV® Is Not Just a Number, Professional Safety. (Published in March 2016)
- Hogan, T.J., Kelter, P., (2015). Discerning the Difference Between “Feel Good” and “Real Good”: Teaching the Complexity of Sustainable Development, The Science Educator, 24(1).
- Hogan,T.J, Kelter, P., (2015). Put A Brick In The Toilet: Overcoming Student Perceptions of the Effectiveness of Naïve Environmental Solutions, Journal of Sustainability Education, 8.
- TLVs® and BEIs® Based on the Documentation of the Threshold Limit Values for Chemical
Agents ,(2015). (As a member of the TLV Committee®). ACGIH, Cincinnati. (ISBN: 978-1-607260-77-6)
- Hogan, T.J., (2013), Teaching Sustainability, One Rag at a Time, American Waste Management Association, Conference Proceedings Chicago
- Hogan, T.J., (2012). Air Sampling, chapter 16 in Fundamentals of Industrial Hygiene. Barbara A. Plog and Patricia J. Quinlan, editors, 6th Edition, National Safety Council, Itasca, IL (ISBN: 978-0-87912-312-3).
- Gonser, M. Hogan, T.J. (2012). Arc Welding Health Effects, Fume Formation Mechanisms, and Characterization Methods, chapter in Arc Welding.
WladislavSudnik, Editor, InTech Publishing, Rijeka, Croatia (ISBN 978-953-307-642-3), December 2011.
- Hogan, T. (2011). Assessing Effectiveness of Dermal Exposure Control Work Practices in the Castable Polyurethane Industry, Dermatitis, 22(5), 302-303.
- Klingner, T., & Hogan, T. (2011). Integration of Bio‐Monitoring and Dermal Exposure Assessment, Dermatitis, 22(5), 299-300.
- Department of Technology, NIU (2011-present)
- University of Illinois at Chicago School of Public Health, Adjunct Assistant Professor and other appointments (1980-present)
- Industrial Hygiene and Safety Consultant to over 400 companies: OSHA compliance, environmental disasters, safety program and training development, and consulting on litigation-related occupational/environmental exposures (1990-present)
- Benedictine University, Instructor, Public Health (half-time 2005-2009)
- Corporate Head of Safety and Industrial Hygiene, Commonwealth Edison (1980s)