Good reasons to apply:
- Your career goals require an advanced degree.
- You want to advance in your current field.
- You want to switch careers.
- You want to master a field of specialized knowledge and satisfy your intellectual curiosity.
Reasons to reconsider applying:
- You don't know what else to do.
- You want to please someone else.
- You want to avoid a tight job market.
- You want to avoid paying off student loans that come due when you leave school.
For more reasons to apply or not apply, see Peterson’s Guide to Graduate Schools.