- Financial Aid and Scholarship Office
Incoming students may be awarded scholarships based on their application for admission to NIU. However, there are many other ways to locate potential scholarship opportunities.
If you are a student athlete, contact NIU coaches regarding specific athletic scholarship processes.
Search and apply for NIU's available scholarships in MyScholarships. The system is generally open between November and January with scholarships for the following academic year.
You will also want to consider scholarships outside of NIU. Check with the following:
- Your high school guidance counselor or college advisor
- Employers (both yours and your parents')
- Local organizations or affiliations (Kiwanis, 4-H, Lions Club)
- Places of personal volunteerism (local hospitals, clubs, etc.)
- Your church
- Chamber of Commerce
- Local library - There are numerous reference books on scholarships and foundations.
- The Internet - NIU lists many reliable online scholarship resources.
- Newspapers - Watch for firms or organizations offering scholarships as well as listings of local students who have won.
- Yellow Pages - Find out if any professional/social organizations have chapters in your area.
If you have received a private scholarship, provide the following address to your donor:
Northern Illinois University
Swen Parson Hall 245
DeKalb, IL 60115
Here's a tip! Start by making a complete list of your awards and accomplishments, activities, jobs and volunteer work. This will make it easier for you to determine the scholarships for which you may be eligible.
Here's a tip! Prioritize scholarships by deadline. Concentrate on the ones that are due first. Scholarship deadlines tend to fall between December and March prior to the academic year for which you are applying.
*February 1st is a common scholarship deadline at NIU.
Here's a tip! Treat each scholarship individually. Although you may be able to reuse essays, references or recommendations, double check to make sure that they "match" the application requirements.
Here's a tip! Ask references well in advance if they will help you, especially if they need to write a letter of recommendation. Be sure to have a brief conversation with your references so that they understand the extent of your search.
Here's a tip! Be honest in your responses!
Here's a tip! Do not pad your application with extra material. While this may make you stand out, it may not be in a positive manner. Most committees do not have time to review materials that they have not specifically requested.
Here's a tip! Spend time on the essays. Make sure your answers address the questions being asked. Consider utilizing the NIU Writing Center.
Here's a tip! Submit your application early. Verify that your materials were received before the deadline.