- President Lisa C. Freeman
- Presidential Professorships
- Research, Scholarship and Artistry
- Call for Nominations
Presidential Research, Scholarship and Artistry Professors Call for Nominations
Presidential Research, Scholarship and Artistry Professorships recognize outstanding accomplishments and future potential in academic research, scholarship or artistry. Faculty may be nominated by forwarding letters of nomination to Lowden Hall, Room 301, by Friday, Oct. 4, 2019.
The nomination letters must include the candidate's qualifications and can be submitted by a current or retired NIU faculty member from any department. Following nomination, the faculty member must email one complete set of application materials (see below) to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than Monday, Nov. 11, 2019.
Nominations: October 4, 2019
- Forward letters of nomination to the Division of Research and Innovation Partnerships, Lowden Hall, Room 301.
- The nomination letters must include the candidate's qualifications.
- Nominations can be submitted by a current or retired NIU faculty member from any department.
Complete applications: November 11, 2019
- Following nomination, the faculty member must email one complete set of application materials (see below) to email@example.com.
- All four components of the application materials are required. Incomplete applications will not be considered by the Select Committee.
Candidates for the award are asked to submit the following to the Select Committee in the Division of Research and Innovation Partnerships:
- The letter of qualifications indicated in the first paragraph (typically, the nomination letter is used).
- A current vita listing all creative and other scholarly works, as well as recognitions, awards, offices and memberships that are relevant to the profession.
- In listing publications with multiple authors, please indicate your role as an author by clarifying lead authorship, percent contribution, senior authorship, etc., so that the committee can objectively evaluate candidates from diverse fields across the university.
- A narrative describing the development of the candidate's research or artistic career. The latter might be in the form of a biography--with ample reference to the information in the vita--in which it is shown how scholarly contributions have been made. The narrative may be written by the applicant or by a nominator. A limit of 1,000 words is suggested. The Select Committee has requested the following elements be included:
- A description of the impact that the candidate has had on the discipline.
- Details of the national or international recognition that has been generated by this impact.
- A discussion of likely future developments in the research or creative endeavor.
- An indication of how advances founded upon current accomplishments will be assisted by the award of a Presidential Research, Scholarship and Artistry Professorship.
- Please arrange to have three letters of recommendation from recognized authorities in your field of research from outside of NIU. If more than three are received, only the first three will be used.
- These letters should be sent directly to the Office of the Vice President for Research and Innovation Partnerships before the deadline. These three outside individuals should have achieved national or international reputations in the appropriate field and should not have a close personal connection with the candidate.
- To ascertain that these individuals have the capacity for making authoritative comments on your scholarship, you may provide brief biographical sketches. Alternatively, the external references can attach CVs with their letters of recommendation.
- Please note: In addition to the three outside supporting letters, the vice president for research and innovation partnerships will select and solicit up to three additional letters from the experts in your field. These extra letters will be secured only for the finalists.
Reapplying for Consideration
Persons who have submitted the above materials within the last two years may reactivate their candidacy by submitting any information necessary to update the previous file. After the third consecutive submission the nominee will not be allowed to resubmit a fourth year. After a year off from the competition, the candidate may submit new materials to be considered as a candidate for Presidential Research, Scholarship and Artistry Professor.
- Presidential Research, Scholarship and Artistry Professors