How to File a Report

You can file a police report and/or a formal complaint with the university about sexual misconduct you experienced.

If you'd like help making a report, call Safe Passage at 815-756-5228 or the NIU confidential advisor at 815-753-1206. Both resources can assist you in making a report to the police and/or with the university. They can also attend your meeting with an officer or investigator.

File a Police Report

For an emergency, call 911. Otherwise, you may call the non-emergency police department phone number to file a police report. The police department you contact is based on where the incident occurred. Below are the police departments that may be contacted for an incident that occurred in DeKalb.

For incidents that occur off-campus and outside of DeKalb, individuals are encouraged to contact the local police department in the city where the incident occurred.  If you aren’t sure which police department to contact, you may call the NIU Department of Police and Public Safety at 815-753-1212 and they will direct you to the right police department.

  • You'll meet with a police officer to discuss what happened. The officer will give you information about services and resources.
  • An official police report will be generated. If the incident is determined to be criminal in nature, the police may continue to investigate.
  • When the investigation is complete, criminal charges may be brought against the alleged offender and the DeKalb County State’s Attorney may become involved in the matter.
  • A warrant for the alleged offender’s arrest may be issued if they were not already arrested.

A police report or formal criminal complaint are not considered formal complaints with the university. While the Title IX Coordinator or designee is advised of all police reports made to the NIU Department of Police and Public Safety involving alleged sexual misconduct, the Title IX coordinator might not be informed of police reports from other police departments or law enforcement agencies. 

Note: Issues pertaining to criminal investigations can be complicated and confusing. This webpage is intended only to provide a brief outline about a complainant’s rights and options in a criminal investigation and is not meant to serve as legal advice.

File a Sexual Misconduct Report or Complaint

You can file a sexual misconduct report or complaint with the university. There are important differences between what happens when a report or a complaint is filed.

If a sexual misconduct report is filed:

  • The Title IX coordinator will contact you to discuss the availability of supportive measures and the process for filing a formal complaint.
  • Supportive measures include no-contact orders or changes to campus living, academic, or workplace arrangements.
  • Supportive measures will be kept confidential unless disclosure is necessary to provide them.
  • The filing of a sexual misconduct report will not automatically result in an investigation and the alleged offender also will not be notified that the report was filed.

If a sexual misconduct complaint is filed:

  • The university’s formal grievance process will be initiated, which includes an investigation.
  • Both you and the alleged offender will be notified in writing that the complaint was filed and an investigation has begun.
  • An investigator will gather evidence and separately interview you, the alleged offender, and any witnesses.
  • You and the alleged offender will both receive a report summarizing the evidence obtained during the investigation and have an opportunity to respond to it.
  • When the investigation is finished, a hearing will occur during which you and the alleged offender will be present, with an advisor, so that a hearing officer can make a determination of whether the alleged offender violated the university’s Sexual Misconduct Policy.
  • During the hearing, you and the alleged offender will be able to ask questions of each other and the witnesses regarding the incident, through your advisor.

You can file a sexual misconduct report or complaint online, or by contacting the Title IX coordinator in-person, over the phone or via email or mail to discuss what happened.  

Back to top