Statements of Economic Interest
Depending on your duties at NIU, you may need to complete two forms related to your economic interests. The forms are required by the Illinois Governmental Ethics Act and Executive Ethics Commission.
Am I Required to File?
You must complete the forms if you:
- Are a member of the Board of Trustees.
- Are the head of a department or other unit.
- Supervise or are responsible for the creation or execution of contracts in the amount of $5,000 or more.
- Have authority to issue administrative rules and regulations.
- Decide or review judicial or administrative proceedings.
- Supervise 20 or more employees.
Read a detailed description of the criteria in the Illinois Governmental Ethics Act, 5 ILCS 420 (section 4A-101).
In January, we send the names of employees expected to meet one or more of the criteria to the Secretary of State's Office and Executive Ethics Commission. If you're one of those employees, follow these steps:
- Review the email you'll receive when the forms are available. The email will tell you how to complete the forms.
- Complete the forms accurately and completely.
- Submit the forms by May 1 to the NIU ethics officer, who will review them and file them with the secretary of state.
Late Filing Penalties
If you don't file completed documents on time, you'll face penalties from the Secretary of State's Office. These include:
- A $15 late filing fee if filed after May 1 and on or before May 15.
- A $100 penalty for each day from May 16 to the filing date, in addition to the $15 late filing fee.
If you don't file the documents by May 31, you'll be unable to keep your office or job.
If you have any questions about the forms or filing requirements, contact: