Test Availability Exceptions in Original Course View
When a student has requested an Exam Accommodation through the Disability Resource Center, you can extend the exam timer for that student by creating an Availability Exception. You can also use Test Availability Exceptions to modify the date that an exam is available to students, such as when a student needs to take an exam early or late.
In the Original Course View, you create accommodations and allow availability exceptions by using the "Test Availability Exceptions" options.
To add an Exception:
- Locate the test, and place your mouse cursor over its title
- Click the drop down arrow icon to the right of the test's title, and click Edit the Test Options from the drop down menu
- On the Test Options screen, scroll down to the Test Availability Exceptions area, then click on the Add User or Group button
- In the pop-up window, click the checkbox(es) next to the student(s) who requires an exception, then scroll down and click the Submit button. You should then see the student(s)' name(s) added to the Test Availability Exceptions area.
- After the student(s) have been added, you can modify the number of Attempts each student is allowed to make, the amount of time a student is allowed for the test or quiz, and the date(s) they are allowed to take the test on.
- Once you are finished, click the Submit button at the bottom of the page, to confirm the Exceptions on the test.
Assessment Exceptions in Ultra Course View
Exceptions are available for Assignments and Tests. They can be used to provide students with additional submission attempts, to change the due date for a single student, or to modify the dates when a student is permitted access to the assessment.
In the Ultra Course View, when a student has requested an Exam Accommodation through the Disability Resource Center, you can extend the exam timer or exempt them from due dates on all assessments by adding an Accommodation to their profile in the Roster.
You can add an exception from four locations:
- From an assessment's Submissions page (where student's names are listed along with their submissions), click the ellipsis (...) menu in their row and select Add or edit exceptions
- From the grading page (while grading an individual student submission), click the ellipsis (...) menu next to the grade pill and select Add or edit exceptions
- From the Gradebook grid view, click in the student's assessment cell to display the options menu, then click Add or edit exceptions
- From the student progress page (accessed by clicking their name in the roster Gradebook grid view, or Gradebook student list view), click the ellipsis (...) menu for the relevant assessment and select Add or edit exceptions
You must have set Release Conditions on the assessment to be able to modify the Show on and Hide after dates and times for a specific student. Similarly, you must have set a Due Date on the assessment to be able to provide a due date exception.
When a student has an exception active for an assessment, they will have a gray clock icon next to their name in the list of submissions. This icon is only visible to instructors, teaching assistants, and graders.