About Placement Exams

If you’re new to NIU, you may be required to take placement exams, which provide information that helps determine which NIU courses you should take. You should take any required exams as early as possible.

Register for Placement Exams

Which Exams Should I Take?

It depends on the type of degree you want to get.

In general, majors focused on science, logic and technology lead to Bachelor of Science (B.S.) degrees, which require math and science courses. You may need to take the ALEKS math and/or chemistry placement tests to help you enroll in the appropriate math and chemistry courses. It depends on your specific major, and if you’ve taken college-level math in the past.

Majors focused on the arts, humanities and critical thinking typically lead to Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) degrees, which have a foreign language graduation requirement. If you plan to continue studying a foreign language at NIU to meet this requirement, you may need to take the foreign language placement exam.

Be Ready to Enroll

Take required placement exams before orientation, so your advisor has the information they need to help you enroll in all your courses.


If you need testing accommodations, contact the Disability Resource Center at 815-753-1303 or by email at drc@niu.edu several weeks before you plan to test.

Contact Us

Testing Services
Peters Campus Life Building 120


8 a.m.-noon
1-4:30 p.m.

Back to top