Frequently Asked Questions

VA Benefits

Am I able to receive financial aid if I receive military student's benefits?

You can receive financial aid in addition to your military student's benefits. Military students are encouraged to apply for student financial aid to help offset the cost of education, because federal and state veterans benefits sometimes do not cover the entire cost of a college education.

When completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), veterans need to be aware of some special circumstances:

  • Federal veteran education benefits do not affect financial aid eligibility and are not considered income for federal student aid purposes.
  • State veteran education benefits are treated as a resource, not an income, for federal student aid purposes.
  • Non-educational veteran benefits must be included on the FAFSA as untaxed income.
  • Veteran status for student aid purposes is not necessarily the same as veteran status for VA purposes. National Guard and Reservists may not qualify automatically as independent students. Refer to the FAFSA instructions to determine if you qualify as a veteran for financial aid purposes.
I have applied for VA benefits, why haven't I been paid?

In order to receive your VA benefits you must:

  • Submit a copy of your Certification of Eligibility to Military and Veteran Services.
  • Submit an NIU Enrollment Certification Request online each semester after you have registered for classes.
  • Submit the Change of Program/Place of Training form to Military and Veteran Services if you have changed your major or program of study.
  • You must verify your attendance each month you are enrolled in school. This will trigger your monthly payment. You can verify by phone - 877-823-2378 or online at the VA WAVE. (Chapter 31, 33, and 35 students are exempt.)
How can I get a copy of my DD-214 if I need it?

The Department of Veterans Affairs does not maintain records of veterans' military service, except as necessary for providing benefits from the VA.

To obtain or amend a copy of your military service record and/or your Official Military Personnel File (DD-214, OMPFs), please visit the website for the Military Personnel Records Center (MPRC) in St. Louis, which is part of the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA). If you have been discharged from military service, your personnel files are stored at NARA, which is the official repository for records of military personnel who have been discharged from the U.S. Air Force, Army, Marine Corps, Navy, and Coast Guard.

Get more information on the NARA website.

How do I receive a parent letter for a course taken outside of NIU?

Any NIU student that wishes to take courses outside the school using military benefits may do so after obtaining a parent letter. In order to receive the parent letter from the Military and Veteran Services, the following steps must be completed:

  1. Contact the NIU Registration and Records office.
  2. Ask for a Transferability Request Form.
  3. Present the Transferability Request Form to the Military and Veteran Services office.
  4. Military and Veteran Services will then draft the parent letter.
    • The signed parent letter is given to the student and can be to present to the appropriate school.
    • Note: Always check in with the financial and veterans office of the school the parent letter is addressed to ensuring the benefits are applied.
    • The parent letter itself does not guarantee certification.

Illinois State Benefits

Scholarship and Tuition Assistance

Do each of the Armed Forces offer a Tuition Assistance Program?

Via, Military Tuition Assistance is a benefit paid to eligible members of the Army, Navy, Marines, Air Force and Coast Guard. Congress has given each service the ability to pay up to 100% for the tuition expenses of its members.

Each service has its own criteria for eligibility, obligated service, application process' and restrictions.


Contact Us

Military and Veteran Services
Peters Campus Life Building 160
DeKalb, IL 60115

815-753-0943 (fax)

Schedule a virtual appointment

Back to top