For Families

Dependents of F-1 or J-1 students include spouses and children, and dependents are allowed to stay in the U.S. in F-2 or J-2 status for the duration of the F-1 or J-1 student's study, including any post-completion OPT/AT time.

Your spouse or children may not work. F-2 visa holders may volunteer, as long as the position is unpaid and cannot be considered employment. Your spouse and/or children may enroll in school and study part-time at the university level.


Child F-2 dependents may attend kindergarten through 12th grade while accompanying an F-1 parent in the U.S. Only part-time post-secondary education is allowed.

On-Campus Childcare

The on-campus Child Development and Family Center (CDFC) provides high-quality care and learning opportunities to children ages 3 months to 5 years. Children enrolled at the center typically have a parental connection to NIU. The center is composed of several classrooms: three for infants, three for toddlers, two for 2-year-olds and four preschool rooms. 

Contact Us

International Student Scholar Services (ISSS)
Williston Hall

Phone: 815-753-1346
Fax: 815-753-1488

Office Hours

8 a.m.-4:30 p.m.

Monday, Wednesday and Friday

Open for in-person appointments:

8:30 a.m.-12 p.m. and 1-2:30 p.m.

Email to request an appointment

Tuesday and Thursday

Staff working remotely