Scholarships in the School of Music
The School of Music awards over $250,000 per year in scholarship money. This money is separate from the merit awards given by the university, and School of Music students are strongly encouraged to apply. The School of Music offers two different kinds of scholarships: Tuition Dollar Awards and Donor Funded Foundation Awards. Tuition Dollar Awards can be applied to tuition expenses only, and Foundation Scholarship Awards are able to be applied to any educational expense that the recipient deems fit. Scholarships awarded based on a variety of factors, including academic achievement and financial need. Scholarships do not need to be repaid and are renewed annually provided the student continues to meet the scholarship eligibility criteria.
Scholarship awards can help to offset some of the expenses that come with being a music student. Common expenses of a student in the School of Music include:
|• Textbooks||• Housing|
|• Personal Instrument Repair & Maintenance||• Music Notation Software|
|• Instrument Locker Rental||• Accompanist & Recording Fees|
|• Professional Performance Attire||• Printing Expenses|
- Log into MyScholarships online using your NIU z-ID and password. You must be admitted to NIU or currently enrolled to access the system.
- Fill out the General Application. Once you save and submit your general application, you will automatically be matched to potential scholarship opportunities.
The General Application consists of three required questions and three additional questions that are optional, though encouraged:
- A personal statement (required)
- A brief statement regarding financial need (encouraged)
- List of activities/service/employment (encouraged)
- List of honors/awards (encouraged)
- Two yes/no questions (required)
- Save and submit the General Application. Then, you will be directed to complete the School of Music Conditional Application. For your Conditional Application to be complete, you will need to have two references (applied teacher and ensemble instructor) submit a recommendation on your behalf in the MyScholarships system.
The window to begin applying for scholarship consideration opens on October 15.
Deadlines to complete applications are as follows:
For The Fall Semester – March 15
For The Spring Semester – December 15
In order to continue to be considered for scholarships every year, you will need to log into MyScholarships to update and re-submit your application before each deadline.
“The School of Music Scholarship has helped ease the financial burden of school on my family and has allowed me to steer clear of student loans.”
-- Ethan Patterson
“There are so many resources for music students out there that people just don’t know about!”
-- Brittany O’Reilly
“My school of music scholarship helped me to afford instrument maintenance and accessory costs. I was able to completely change my violin's set up and get a repair done this semester."
-- Cheyanne Fleming