Requirements and Educator Licensure
The School of Music in the College of Visual and Performing Arts offers a Bachelor of Music (B.M.) degree with an emphasis in music education, performance, and composition, as well as a Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) degree for students whose interests lie in acquiring a broad liberal education. The music education program leads to a K-12 special certificate that authorizes the holder to teach all aspects of music in grades K-12.
Admission to the School of Music requires successful completion of an audition, interview and basic musicianship screening. Admission to the program is highly competitive.
Music Education majors will be placed in the Instrumental Music or Vocal Music Education track and shared requirements include the music major core, music teaching methods and coursework in the College of Education. Instrumental Music Ed majors also take five instrument-techniques courses, while Vocal Music Ed majors take Vocal Diction.
Students who complete the major/all licensure requirements qualify for a license in K-12 Music upon graduation.
Many of our students double major in Music Education and Music Performance, pair Music Education with Jazz Studies, or have additional minors or endorsements outside the School of Music.
A well-rounded program can be crafted to fit students' interests and goals. We are also proud to share that our students have been awarded numerous, competitive scholarships within the School of Music, across the university and from regional and national organizations. Music Education majors have consistently maintained a 100% pass rate on the IL State Music Content Exam and the edTPA, an individual assessment completed during student teaching.
Requirements in School (84-86)
Core Music Ed Requirements
- MUED 150 - Introduction to Music Education/Field Experience in Public Schools Credits: 1
- MUED 250 - Elementary General Music Methods Credits: 3
- MUED 251 - Clinical Experience in Elementary General Music Credits: 1
- MUED 350 - Middle School/Junior High Music Methods Credits: 3
- MUED 351 - Clinical Experience in Middle School/Junior High Music Credits: 1
- MUED 352 - Secondary Music Methods Credits: 3
- MUED 353 - Clinical Experience in Secondary Music Credits: 1
- MUED 490 - Student Teaching K-8 Credits: 6
- MUED 495 - Student Teaching 6-12 Music Credits: 6