- NIU Home
- Community College Partnerships
- NIU at University Center at Harper College
- NIU Marketing at University Center
NIU Marketing at University Center
We’re thrilled that you’ve decided to pursue your education at a place close to home. Through our University Center program, you’ll earn your Bachelor of Science degree in marketing while gaining knowledge and developing your skills through classes taught by NIU faculty who are active professionals in the field.
Marketing is anything and everything that helps business find and keep profitable customers. From creating compelling content, to communicating and delivering value to customers and society at large.
A degree in marketing from NIU develops your skills in a variety of marketing fields including professional selling and digital marketing. Learn how to engage with customers using online technology, participate in sales role plays with industry professionals to practice your selling strategies and gain valuable networking skills that will help you advance in your future career.
You have plans for the future. We’ll help you get there.
In order to pursue a B.S. in marketing, you must have:
- An A.A. or A.S. degree, or have completed 60 transferable credits and be classified as a junior.
- A minimum 2.50 cumulative GPA in all attempted transferable college coursework.
You also must have completed the Foundations of Business Courses (or their community college equivalents) with grades of C or better.
How to Get Started
- Schedule a meeting with Agnes Szemborski (847-925-6914, email@example.com) Harper College Transfer Coordinator, to learn more about the program and to discuss requirements.
- Contact Meredith Eskoff (firstname.lastname@example.org) prior to applying to NIU for verification of completed business requirements.
- Apply to NIU as a transfer student (select the off-campus option) and submit your transcripts.
- Setup your MyNIU account to stay updated on your application status and to accept your admission to confirm your spot.
- Apply for financial aid by completing the FAFSA.
- Contact NIU advisors for guidance prior to registering for classes.
Tentative Course Schedule
Please note that this is a tentative program schedule of NIU courses to be offered in Fall 2019 at Harper University Center and is subject to change. Students may incur additional fees if they take courses at NIU DeKalb.
Cost per credit hour: $398.84
MKTG 295 - Principles of Marketing
Modality: University Center
Time: 6-8:40 p.m.
Location: D244, University Center
MKTG 350 - Principles of Selling
Modality: University Center
Time: 2-4:40 p.m.
Location: D276, University Center
ECO 211 Microeconomics
ENG 101 Composition
MGMT 111 Intro to Business Organization
MTH 134 Calculus for Social Scientists
MTH 200 Calculus with Analytic Geometry
CIS 101 Intro to Computer Information Systems
ECO 212 Macroeconomics
ENG 102 Composition
MTH 225 Business Statistics
Physical and Life Science course
ACC 101 Intro to Financial Accounting
PSY 101 Intro to Psychology
SPE 101 Fundamentals of Speech Communication
Humanities and Fine Arts
Physical and Life Science
ACC 213 Legal Environment of Business
Humanities and Fine Arts
Electives to reach minimum 60 credits*
FINA 320 Principles of Finance
MKTG 295 Principles of Marketing
MKTG 350 Principles of Selling
OMIS 338 Principles of Operations Management
OMIS 351 Information Systems in Organizations
UBUS 200 Passport Introduction
MGMT 335 Managing Individuals, Teams and Organizations
MGMT 346 Business Communication
MKTG 325 Buyer Behavior
MKTG 443 Marketing Research
MGMT 468 Strategic Management
MKTG 99 Portfolio
MKTG 495 Marketing Strategy
UBUS 201 Passport Culmination
*Harper electives depend on credits needed to reach a minimum of 60 or electives per degree can be used.
**NIU electives depend on how many credits are transferred from Harper (or other schools attended).
College of Business Admission Requirements
- Earned A.A./A.S. degree, or have completed 60 transferable credits and be classified as a junior.
- Completed lower level business foundation courses (10 prerequisites courses) with a C grade or better.
- Earned a minimum 2.5 cumulative GPA in all attempted transferable college coursework.
NIU requires a total of 120 credit hours to graduate, with 54 hours required at the university level. A minimum of 40 hours must be in courses at the 300 and/or 400 level. More information is available at about these requrirements.
All NIU students must meet general education requirements, which are fulfilled by an A.A. or A.S. degree from a public community college. To track and understand all of your requirements:
- Regularly discuss your requirements with your NIU program advisor.
- Review your Academic Requirements Report in MyNIU.
- Familiarize yourself with the NIU Undergraduate Catalog paying close attention to areas such as university graduation requirements, academic requirements, other graduation requirements, and the academic calendar.
- March 1: Deadline for transfer merit scholarships
- June 30: Deadline to apply for the Huskie Payment Plan for the fall semester
- Nov. 30: Deadline to apply for the Huskie Payment Plan for the spring semester
More important dates can be found in the undergraduate catalog.