All NIU students in programs that result in an initial teaching license are required to complete the module.
- Educator Licensure and Preparation
- Future Teacher Candidates
- School Safety Tutorial for Pre-service Teachers
School Safety Tutorial for Pre-service Teachers
Illinois law requires all state universities to include safety education for teachers and other education professionals. You may fulfill the requirement by completing the module in BlackBoard. It will take about 45-60 minutes to complete the tutorial.
Using the Module
- Log in to BlackBoard self-enroll
- Click Submit.
- On the self-enrollment success page, click "ok." This will launch the safety tutorial in BlackBoard.
- There are 12 sections covering important topics in school safety, each with a few quiz questions at the end of the section. You must answer each quiz question correctly to proceed to the next module.
Completing the Module
When you have successfully completed all sections, We encourage you to browse the resources section in the 'congratulations module' for additional information. The final step is to navigate to the certificate of completion to view and print your certificate.
Frequently Asked Questions
This is determined by the individual programs. Programs are in charge of informing their students of the tutorial requirement and confirming that each student has completed the tutorial prior to recommending the student for licensure or during graduation check.
There is no "passing" score. A student must give the correct answer to the questions at the end of each section of the tutorial in order to move on to the next section. Thus, completion of the tutorial indicates a satisfactory level of familiarity with the tutorial material.
When the student successfully completes the tutorial, a service indicator is placed in the student’s MyNIU account. Programs may require that students print and submit the completion certificate as verification of completion.
It takes approximately 45-60 minutes to complete the tutorial. Students can log off and return to the same portion of the tutorial they left off at if they are unable to complete the tutorial in one sitting.
Please feel free to take the tutorial yourself so that you can best answer student questions about what to expect.
- Ability to log off and return to saved spot in the module.
- Control playback including Pause/Play, Mute Audio and Closed Captioning.
- Ability to review previously viewed content by screen or by section.
- Integrated quiz questions with feedback for correct and incorrect responses.