All NIU students in programs that result in an initial teaching license are required to complete the module.
- Educator Licensure and Preparation
- Future Teacher Candidates
- School Safety Tutorial for Pre-service Teachers
School Safety Tutorial for Pre-service Teachers
Illinois law requires all state universities to include safety education for teachers and other education professionals. You may fulfill the requirement by using the web-based module. We recommend using Internet Explorer on a PC to open the module. It will take about 45-60 minutes to complete the tutorial.
Using the Module
The presentation will begin on its own. There are 12 sections covering important topics in school safety, each with a few quiz questions at the end of the section. You must view each screen and answer each quiz question to proceed.
- Launch the web-based module.
- Use your name, NIU email address and your eight-digit student ID (note: this is not the same as your Z-ID).
The control bar at the bottom of the screen lets you control the module playback with options to:
- Play () or pause () the audio at any time.
- Mute () the audio.
- Turn the closed captioning () on and off.
- Use the Next button to advance to the next screen once you have viewed the current screen.
- Use the Back button to view previously viewed screens.
You can use the section bookmarks to track your progress, look ahead to see which topics are upcoming and to return to sections you have already completed.
The Exit button at the top right of the screen will allow you to leave the module while saving your progress.
Completing the Module
When you have successfully completed all sections, you should see a Congratulations screen. A confirmation email will be sent to the email address you used to create the account and to the Office of Educator Licensure and Preparation.
We encourage you to browse the resources section at the end of the module for additional information. We also recommend you save the "confirmation of completion" email in the event you are asked to provide this to your program advisor.
- Ability to log off and return to saved spot in the module.
- Control playback including Pause/Play, Mute Audio and Closed Captioning.
- Ability to review previously viewed content by screen or by section.
- Integrated quiz questions with feedback for correct and incorrect responses.
- Confirmation email upon successful completion.
Frequently Asked Questions
This is determined by the individual programs. Programs are in charge of informing their students of the tutorial requirement and confirming that each student has completed the tutorial prior to recommending the student for licensure or during graduation check.
There is no "passing" score. A student must give the correct answer to the questions at the end of each section of the tutorial in order to move on to the next section. Thus, completion of the tutorial indicates a satisfactory level of familiarity with the tutorial material.
When the student successfully completes the tutorial, an email is sent to both the student and the University Office of Educator Licensure. Programs may require that students print and submit the email as verification of completion, or they can check the student's records in MyNIU for a positive service indicator noting that the student has completed the safety tutorial.
It takes approximately 45-60 minutes to complete the tutorial. Students can log off and return to the same portion of the tutorial they left off at if they are unable to complete the tutorial in one sitting.
Please feel free to take the tutorial yourself so that you can best answer student questions about what to expect.
When you enter the tutorial, please use your name and NIU email address. For the required student ID, enter your eight-digit ID.