If you already have a teaching license in the State of Illinois, please select the topic you're interested in learning more about:
NIU awards instructional waivers to the districts in which cooperating teachers are employed. Waivers can be applied to the cost of tuition at NIU. Depending on your district's waiver allocation policies, you may be eligible for a waiver. Ask your district office about their waiver policies.
Are you a professional with a teaching license outside of Illinois? We're happy to connect you with resources.
Dual Credit Endorsement
Practicing Illinois Teachers with a Professional Educator License who will be hired to teach a dual credit course should follow the process designated by the Illinois State Board of Education (ISBE).
- Requirements: Qualified Master’s Degree or a Master’s Degree with 18 graduate hours in the specific content area.
- Apply to the ISBE through the Educator Licensure Information System (ELIS).
- Send Transcripts and Application to the hiring community college of 4- year institution.
- Applications forms are designated by content area.
- The hiring institution will then send the completed form to the appropriate Regional Office of Education to upload into ELIS.
For more information please review the ISBE Frequently Asked Questions.