Jifu Tan, Ph.D.
|Office Location:||EB 116|
- Ph.D. in mechanical engineering, Lehigh University (2015)
- M.S. in mechanical engineering, Lehigh University (2012)
- B.E. with honors in structural engineering, Beijing Jiaotong University (2007)
- Blood flow simulation
- Drug delivery
- Cellular mechanics
- Tumor cell detection
- Microfluidics design
- Multiphase flow
- Parallel computing
- Computational fluid dynamics
- Finite element methods
- Fluid structure interaction
- Lattice Boltzmann method
- Immersed boundary method
Honors and Awards
- Top 3 poster presentation at the 45th Annual Philadelphia Workshop on Hemostasis, Thrombosis and Atherosclerosis (2016)
- Rossin Doctor Fellow, Lehigh University (2012)
- Consortium for Nanomaterials for Aerospace Commerce and Technology (CONTACT) research grant award, Rice University (2010)
- Applied Mathematical Modelling
- American Journal of Biomedical Engineering
- Computational and Mathematical Methods in Medicine
- Computer Methods and Programs in Biomedicine
- Journal of Fluids and Structures
- Computers & Fluids
- Journal of Biomechanical Engineering
- Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering
- S. Sohrabi, S. Wang, J. Tan, Y. Liu, "Nanoparticle Transport and Delivery in a Heterogeneous Pulmonary Vasculature", Journal of Biomechanics, 50, p240-247, 2017.
- Y. Zhou, S. Sohrabi, J. Tan, Y. Liu, "Mechanical Properties of Nanoworm Assembled by DNA and Nanoparticle Conjugates", J. of Nanoscience and Nanotechnology,16(6), p5447-5456, 2016.
- J. Tan, W. Keller, Y. Liu, "Characterization of Nanoparticle Dispersion in Red Blood Cell Suspension by Lattice Boltzmann–Immersed Boundary Method", Nanomaterials, 6, 30, 2016.
- A. Thomas, J. Tan, Y. Liu, "Characterization of nanoparticle delivery in microcirculation using a microfluidic device", Microvascular Research, Vol 94, p17-27, 2014.
- S. Wang, Y. Zhou, J. Tan, J. Xu, J. Yang, Y. Liu, "Computational modeling of magnetic nanoparticle targeting to stent surface under high gradient field", Computational Mechanics, Vol 53(3), p403-512, 2014.
- J. Tan, S. Wang, Y. Liu, "Coupled particulate and continuum model for nanoparticle targeted delivery", Computers & Structures, Vol 122, p128–134, 2013.
- J. Tan, S. Shah, A. Thomas, D. Ou-Yang, Y. Liu, "The influence of size, shape and vessel geometry on nanoparticle distribution", Microfluidics and Nanofluidics, Vol 14, p77-87, 2013.
- Y. Wan, Y.Liu, P. Allen, W. Asghar, A. Mahmood, J. Tan, H. Duhon, Y. Kim, A. Ellington, S. Iqbal,"Capture, isolation and release of cancer cells with aptamer-functionalized glass bead array", Lab on a Chip, Vol 12(22), p4693-4701, 2012.
- Y. Liu, S. Shah, J. Tan, "Computational modeling of nanoparticle targeted drug delivery", Reviews in Nanoscience and Nanotechnology, Vol 1(1), p66-83, 2012.
- Y. Liu, J. Tan, A. Thomas, D. Ou-Yang, V. Muzykantov, "The shape of things to come: importance of design in nanotechnology for drug delivery", Therapeutic Delivery, Vol 3(2), p181-194, 2012.
- J. Tan, A. Thomas, and Y. Liu, "Influence of red blood cells on nanoparticle targeted delivery in microcirculation", Soft Matter, Vol 8(6), p1934-1946, 2012.
- Y. Wan, J. Tan, W. Asghar, Y. Kim, Y. Liu, S. Iqbal, "Velocity effect on aptamers-based circulating tumor cell isolation in microfluidic devices", The Journal of Physical Chemistry B, Vol 115 (47), p13891–13896, 2011.
- S. Kona, J. Dong, Y. Liu, J. Tan, K. Nguyen, "Biodegradable nanoparticles mimicking platelet binding as a targeted and controlled drug delivery system", International Journal of Pharmaceutics, Vol 423(2), p516-24, 2011.
Selected Conference Presentations and Posters
- "Coupling lattice Boltzmann fluid solver with molecular dynamics using multiple CPUs", Society of Engineering Science Annual Technical Meeting, Maryland, MD, Oct., 2016
- "Lattice Boltzmann method and its applications in soft matter", invited talk at the division of applied mathematics at Brown University, Providence, RI, May, 2015
- "Mesoscale simulation in soft matter: Numerical studies in drug delivery and tumor cell detection", Lehigh University High Performance Computing Symposium, Bethlehem, PA, Apr. 2015
- "Coupled particulate and continuum model for nanoparticle targeted delivery", 7th M.I.T. Conference on Computational Fluid & Solid Mechanics, Boston, MA, Jun. 2013
- "Influence of Red Blood Cells on Nanoparticle Targeted Delivery in Microcirculation", ASME 2nd global congress on nanoengineering for medicine & biology, Boston, MA, Feb. 2013
- "Coupling LAMMPS with lattice Boltzmann fluid solver: theory, implementation, and applications", symposium of molecular dynamics of materials from assembly to fracture at Temple University, Philadelphia, PA, Aug. 2016
- "Nanoparticle targeted delivery in microcirculation: modeling and experiments", Biophysical Society Pennsylvania Network Meeting, Bethlehem, PA, Sep. 2012
- "Characterization of Nanoparticle Distribution in Microcirculation: the Influence of Blood Cells and Vascular Geometry", 38th Annual Northeast Bioengineering Conference, Philadelphia, PA, Mar. 2012
- "Characterization of Nanoparticle Distribution in Microcirculation Through a Microfluidics Device", ASME Summer Bioengineering Conference, Farmington, PA, Jun. 2011
- Assistant professor, Department of Mechanical Engineering, Northern Illinois University (2017-present)
- Postdoctoral scholar, University of Pennsylvania (2015-2017)
- Research and teaching assistant, Lehigh University (2010-2015)