More than 40 intramural sports and activities for men's, women's and co-recreational leagues are offered fall and spring semesters. Leagues include Greek, Independent and Organizational plus division offerings of "A" (competitive play) and "B" (recreational play). A league normally lasts four weeks with the opportunity to advance to playoffs. When a team is registered, the captain chooses the league and division (day/time) the team will play throughout that semester. Tournament play is generally one, two or three days long with a single/double-elimination bracket. Special events are sports/activities which are competitive, but not set up in a league schedule or in a playoff bracket.
Whether you were a varsity star, a fifth-string quarterback, or never participated in a sport, the Intramural Sports program is the perfect way to be active and involved, meet new people and have fun! Students also officiate and supervise the activities. Officials are employed regardless of previous experience and participate in training clinics and staff evaluations to help them constantly improve their abilities. Supervisors are trained to handle game conflicts and answer questions participants have regarding rules, policies, procedures, and program information.
Become an Official
Join the officiating team to gain leadership experience and get involved in the campus community. Officiating is a great way to earn extra money while expanding your knowledge of various sports' rules and regulations. Hours are flexible and officials are trained and officiate each sport. Previous experience is not necessary. Officials are eligible and encouraged to play even if they officiate. NIU Recreation currently employs more than 45 officials in six sports.
Visit our employment page for more specific job descriptions and NIU Recreation student employment information.
Spring 2022 Leagues
|5 v. 5 Basketball||$70/team||Jan 4 - 21||Jan. 25 - Mar. 6
|Volleyball||$70/team||Jan 4 - 21||Jan. 26 - Feb. 27
|Badminton||$50/team||Jan 4 - 21||Jan. 24 - Feb. 28
Spring 2022 Tournaments
|Indoor Soccer||$40/team||Jan. 25 - Mar. 2||Mar. 7 - Mar. 9|
Upcoming EventsSee all upcoming events
All Intramural participants are required to:
- Create an account/team on IMLeagues.
- Submit payment at the Recreation Center Front Desk by the second week of play!
- You must do both in order for your team to play
Create an IMLeagues Account
- Go to IMLeagues.com and click Create Account.
- Enter your information using NIU email (i.e. email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org), then click Submit.
- You will be sent an activation email. Click the link in the email to login and activate your IMLeagues account.
- You should automatically be joined to your school. If not, search schools by clicking the Schools link.
*Note: IMLeagues offers a live support button in the top right corner of all pages, please use this button if you encounter any difficulties.
Sign Up for a Sport
- Go to IMLeagues.com and login to your account.
- Click the Create/Join Team button at the top right of your homepage.
- Click on the sport you wish to join (current sports will be displayed).
- Choose the league you wish to play in (men's, women's, co-rec, etc.)
- Choose the division you would like (Monday 5 p.m., Tuesday 5 p.m., etc.)
Join a Team (One of Three Ways)
Create A Team (For Captains)
- Captains can invite members to their team by clicking Invite Members on the team page.
- Any invited members must accept the invitation to be joined to the team.
- If already registered on IMleagues, search for their name and invite them. If they aren't registered on IMLeagues, scroll down to Invite by Email Address box and input their email address.
Join a Team
- Use the Create/Join Team button at the top right of every page.
- Accept a request from the captain to join his/her team or find the team captain's name on the division/league page and request to join.
Join As A Free Agent
List yourself as a free agent in as many divisions within a league as you'd like! You will be visible to all site members and can request to join teams, or post information about yourself; so teams can request to add you to their team.
League passes are currently unavailable.