Welcome to the NIU School of Music! We're glad that you are interested in studying with us. At NIU, you get the best of everything - a conservatory style setting, personalized attention, small school benefits, all while being at a major research institution with large university resources and experiences. You'll work one-on-one with world renown faculty who continue to perform and perfect their craft. Being 65 miles west of Chicago, you have access to the city with its musical and cultural experience but are in a hometown community that allows you to hone in and focus on your craft.
There are so many ways to be involved with our School of Music. Whether you're interested in being a major, a minor or just being involved in ensembles, there's a place for you.
Admission to the School of Music is limited and competitive. If you are interested in being a music major, there is a two-step application process.
- Apply for general admission to NIU.
- Be mindful of priority academic scholarship deadlines.
- You will need to have applied to NIU by the time of your audition. You are not required to have been admitted for general admission, but we encourage you to apply early.
- Apply and Audition for the School of Music.
- Complete your supplemental application.
- Submit two letters of letters of recommendation.
- Contact information for recommenders is asked for in your supplemental application. These should be from individuals that know music capabilities (i.e. band/choir/orchestra director, private lesson instructor, etc.)
- Register for your audition.
- Auditions are held in January and February.
- Auditions for Spring/Fall 2021 applicants will be held virtually via Zoom.
- Please review studio audition requirements.
To be considered for a music scholarship, you must complete your NIU general application, music application and audition by Wednesday, February 24, 2021.
If you are unable to attend one of our scheduled audition days, you must receive permission to schedule a separate audition or submit a video audition. Following February 20, please contact Brigid Crawford (firstname.lastname@example.org) to schedule an audition. Applications and auditions will be accepted based upon studio capacity. We encourage you to apply and audition as soon as possible for full consideration.