Wind Conducting Symposium
Saturday, Feb. 26, 2022
Boutell Concert Hall, Music Building
Join us for a wind conducting symposium that will educate and inspire. Current and aspiring band directors are invited to attend, and all levels of conductors are welcome. The day will consist of 10 conductor sessions with our demonstration ensemble, the Air National Guard "Band of the Midwest," led by Lt. Col. Bryan Miller.
You can apply to be one of the seven active conductors or register as an observer. Accepted conductors will be sent a registration link after they are notified on Feb. 11, 2022. Each conductor session includes feedback from our clinicians, Tom Bough and Richard Clary, and is followed by a time for questions/comments with observers. The event also includes a presentation by Bough on improving efficiency on the podium with a five-color system for studying scores.
- 8:30 a.m.: Participant registration (Concert Hall lobby).
- 9 a.m.: Conductor 1 session (20 minutes) and follow up (10 minutes).
- 9:30 a.m.: Conductor 2 session and follow up.
- 10 a.m. Conductor 3 session and follow up.
- 10:30 a.m.: Conductor 4 session and follow up.
- 11 a.m.: Conductor 5 session and follow up.
- 11:30 a.m.: Conductor 6 session and follow up.
- Noon-1:30 p.m.: Lunch (on your own).
- 1:30 p.m.: Lecture/demonstration: Improve Your Efficiency on the Podium: A Five-Color System for Marking Scores.
- 2:30 p.m.: Conductor 7 session and follow up.
- 3 p.m.: Conductor 8 session and follow up.
- 3:30 p.m.: Conductor 9 session and follow up.
- 4 p.m.: Conductor 10 session and follow up.
- 4:30 p.m.: Closing remarks and dismissal.
- 5 p.m.: Dinner at El Jimador (optional).
The selected literature covers several grade levels. It incorporates music from both female and Black composers, reflecting NIU's commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion.
- Incantation and Dance by John Barnes Chance (grade four).
- Chasing Sunlight by Cait Nishmura (grade three).
- Baile Sereno by Thomas Bough (grade three).
- Second Suite in F by Gustav Holst (grades four and five).
- Sunscape by Chandler Wilson (grades three and over).