Become a Mentor
Objectives and Expectations
- Help your mentee adjust to college life
- Serve as a positive role model for your mentee
- Encourage involvement in student activities and organizations
- Provide information on NIU services and resources
- Share experiences and knowledge you have gained as a student at NIU
- Be involved in informational sessions, training workshops and socials
- Help your mentee with homework or refer to tutoring service
Application Process (spring only)
We are not currently accepting applications.
- Currently enrolled full-time, have completed at least one year at NIU by summer 2019 and returning to NIU as an undergraduate for fall 2019.
- Good academic and disciplinary standing (minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5).
- Desire to enhance interpersonal, communication and leadership skills
- Interest in working with Latinx freshmen.
- Awareness and appreciation of all forms of diversity.
- Positive attitude and enthusiasm for NIU.
- Must attend all program meetings on Tuesdays from 4:30-6:30 p.m. for the academic year (fall 2019 and spring 2020).
- Must commit to five hours per week.
- Commit to participating in the program for two consecutive semesters (fall 2019 and spring 2020).
- Gain significant leadership experience while enhancing employment marketability and career opportunities.
- Develop professional relationships with faculty, staffand other students.
- Increase skills in effective interpersonal communication and time management.
- Potential internship opportunities with METAS peer mentoring program during the 2019-2020 academic year to help with ongoing mentoring program and services.
- Welcome Latinx freshmen to Northern Illinois University.
- Explain academic opportunities and procedures.
- Acquaint new students with campus services and building location.s
- Promote a welcoming environment for a diverse student body.
- Attend all mentor training sessions (Reading Day and late August/early September).
- Attend all program meetings (mid-August 2019 thru late April 2020 on Tuesdays from 4:30-6:30 p.m.).
For more information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
515 Garden Road
DeKalb, IL 60115
Main Office Hours
8 a.m.–4:30 p.m.
Latino Center Building Hours
8 a.m.–10 p.m.
8 a.m.–4:30 p.m.