Become a Mentor
Objectives and Expectations
- Help your mentee adjust to college life
- Serve as a positive role model for your mentee
- Encourage involvement in student activities and organizations
- Provide information on NIU services and resources
- Share experiences and knowledge you have gained as a student at NIU
- Be involved in informational sessions, training workshops and socials
- Help your mentee with homework or refer to tutoring service
Application Process (spring only)
We are now accepting applications for 2021-2022. Apply today.
- Currently enrolled full-time, have completed at least one year at NIU by summer 2021 and returning to NIU as an undergraduate for fall 2021.
- Good academic and disciplinary standing (minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5).
- Desire to enhance interpersonal, communication and leadership skills
- Interest in working with Latina/o/x freshmen or transfer students.
- Awareness and appreciation of all forms of diversity.
- Positive attitude and enthusiasm for NIU.
- Must attend all program meetings on Tuesdays from 4:30-6:30 p.m. for the academic year (fall 2021 and spring 2022).
- Must commit to five hours per week.
- Commit to participating in the program for two consecutive semesters (fall 2020 and spring 2021).
- Gain significant leadership experience while enhancing employment marketability and career opportunities.
- Develop professional relationships with faculty, staffand other students.
- Increase skills in effective interpersonal communication and time management.
- Potential internship opportunities with METAS peer mentoring program during the 2021-2022 academic year to help with ongoing mentoring program and services.
- Welcome Latinx freshmen to Northern Illinois University.
- Explain academic opportunities and procedures.
- Acquaint new students with campus services and building location.s
- Promote a welcoming environment for a diverse student body.
- Attend all mentor training sessions (April 23 and in late August/early September).
- Attend all program meetings (mid-August 2021 thru late April 2022 on Tuesdays from 4:30-6:30 p.m.).
For more information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Meet Our Mentors
- Cinthya Aguilar
- Jocelyn Capetillo
- Francisco Carrillo
- Rubi Chavez
- Jazmin Gonzalez
- Marvin Gordon
- Celeste Martin
- Joselyn Ramirez
- Rubi Zamudio-Rivera