Become a Mentor
Objectives and Expectations
- Help your mentee adjust to college life
- Serve as a positive role model for your mentee
- Encourage involvement in student activities and organizations
- Provide information on NIU services and resources
- Share experiences and knowledge you have gained as a student at NIU
- Be involved in informational sessions, training workshops and socials
- Help your mentee with homework or refer to tutoring service
Application Process (spring only)
We are currently accepting applications. Apply to become a mentor today! Priority deadline: Monday, February 12, 2018.
- Currently enrolled full-time, have completed at least one year at NIU by summer 2018 and returning to NIU as an undergraduate for fall 2018
- Good academic and disciplinary standing (minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5)
- Desire to enhance interpersonal, communication and leadership skills
- Interest in working with Latino freshmen
- Awareness and appreciation of all forms of diversity
- Positive attitude and enthusiasm for NIU
- Must attend all program meetings on Tuesdays from 4:30-6:30 p.m. for the academic year (fall 2018 and spring 2019)
- Must commit to five hours per week
- Commit to participating in the program for two consecutive semesters (fall 2018 and spring 2019)
- Gain significant leadership experience while enhancing employment marketability and career opportunities
- Develop professional relationships with faculty, staffand other students
- Increase skills in effective interpersonal communication and time management
- Potential internship opportunities with METAS peer mentoring program during the 2018-2019 academic year to help with ongoing mentoring program and services.
- Welcome Latino freshmen to Northern Illinois University
- Explain academic opportunities and procedures
- Acquaint new students with campus services and building locations
- Promote a welcoming environment for a diverse student body
- Attend all mentor training sessions (Reading Day and late August/early September)
- Attend all program meetings (mid-September 2018 thru late April 2019 on Tuesdays from 4:30-6:30 p.m.)
For more information, please contact Angélica Mendoza at firstname.lastname@example.org.
515 Garden Road
DeKalb, IL 60115
Main Office Hours
8 a.m.–4:30 p.m.
Latino Center Building Hours
8 a.m.–10 p.m.
8 a.m.–4:30 p.m.