- Division of International Affairs
- Awards, Grants and Scholarships
- Outstanding Department Contribution
Outstanding Department Contribution to International Education
The Outstanding Department Contribution to International Education Award recognizes a department that has made significant enhancements to international education at NIU or the internationalization of campus.
The award will be presented to the selected NIU unit on Tuesday, Nov. 15, 2022, from noon-1 p.m. during the International Recognition Presentation in the Sky Room of the Holmes Student Center.
If you have any questions, please contact Sarah Lindell at 815-753-9526 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Eligibility and Criteria
All NIU units, including academic departments, administrative units and support units, are eligible for the award. Previous award recipients, as well as individuals and units within the Division of International Affairs, are not eligible.
Nominees will have made outstanding contributions to international education or the internationalization of campus in one or more of the following ways:
- Supporting NIU sponsored Study Abroad Programs that benefit NIU students or faculty.
- Offering or supporting international courses, or including international issues in courses.
- Recruiting international faculty, staff or students.
- Co-sponsoring or implementing international professional development programs, such as training programs or conferences.
- Supporting faculty in international work, such as research, technical assistance or conference participation.
- Supporting international students through, for example, tuition waivers, assistantships, financial aid, or support for international travel or conference participation.
- Hosting visiting international scholars and exchanges.
- Receiving external funding for international projects, including research and development.
- Administering NIU sponsored international events to promote international understanding, such as international conferences and lectures, or educational exhibits with an international focus.
- Collaborating with campus units on international activities, projects or programs.
You can nominate your own unit or another unit that meets the award criteria. If you're not the head of the unit you nominate, the selection committee may contact the head of the unit for additional information or clarification.
To nominate a unit, fill out a nomination form. Any supporting documents you wish to provide must not exceed five pages.
The nomination deadline is Monday, October 24, 2022.
A selection committee reviews nominations, paying special attention to contributions beyond the regular focus or duties of the nominated unit. The committee may include:
- Staff of the Division of International Affairs.
- Previous award recipients.
- Faculty and staff from NIU academic and support units.
Past Award Recipients
- 2006: Faculty Development and Instructional Design Center
- 2007: Department of Political Science
- 2008: School of Art
- 2008: Department of Mechanical Engineering
- 2009: Department of Marketing
- 2010: Department of Chemistry
- 2010 Special Award: Office of the Ombudsman
- 2011: School of Music
- 2012: Department of Literacy Education
- 2013: Division of Public Administration
- 2014: University Honors Program
- 2015: Department of English
- 2016: not awarded
- 2017: College of Education Office of External and Global Programs
- 2018: Department of Industrial and Systems Engineering
- 2019: Department Kinesiology and Physical Education
- 2020: Department of Educational Technology, Research and Assessment
- 2021: not awarded
- Awards, Grants and Scholarships