Awards, Grants and Scholarships
The Division of International Affairs recognizes and supports NIU faculty, staff and students who contribute to international education at NIU. The awards, grants and scholarships we offer allow us to raise awareness of the importance of international experiences.
Read more about the Award for Outstanding Department Contribution to International Education
This award recognizes an academic department, administrative or support unit for contributions related to the mission of the Division of International Affairs, including the following:
- Supporting NIU-sponsored study abroad programs.
- Offering international courses or including international issues in courses.
- Recruiting international faculty, staff and/or students.
- Co-sponsoring or implementing international professional development programs.
- Supporting faculty in their international work.
- Supporting international students.
- Hosting visiting international scholars and exchanges.
- Receiving external funding for international projects.
- Administering NIU-sponsored international events.
- Collaborating with campus units on international activities, projects or programs.
Read more about the Outstanding Student Contribution to International Education.
By recognizing outstanding student contributions to international education, this award encourages students to participate in and create greater visibility of international experiences at NIU.
Read more about the Outstanding International Educator Award.
This award honors an NIU faculty or staff member who has made significant contributions to international education at NIU. The Division of International Affairs provides a travel reimbursement of $1,000 to the recipient.
- Ari and Ruth Kovacevich Distinguished Scholarship Fund: provides support to full-time sophomores, juniors and seniors. Preference is given to students with an interest in education and political science with an emphasis in international relations and/or foreign languages.
- Dwight Y. King Endowment for the Center of Southeast Asian Studies: provides scholarships for international students to attend NIU to pursue a master's degree or Ph.D. in an area of study involving research of Indonesia.
- Martin David Dubin Memorial Scholarship: provides assistance to a student studying political science with an emphasis in international relations.
- Gary Coover Endowed Travel Fund for Graduate Students: provides financial assistance to graduate students in the Department of Psychology for the purpose of attending national or international scientific meetings.
- Sara J. May Memorial Scholarship: provides support for undergraduate students to travel abroad to participate in an international research experience through the Department of Anthropology.