NIU is dedicated to providing information and support to our international students, faculty, staff and alumni. The Division of International Affairs oversees all international programs and activities to ensure their consistency with the mission of the university. We also collaborate and communicate with NIU faculty and staff members to advance a global perspective on campus. Read more about the responsibilities of the Division of International Affairs.
Our work is facilitated by International Student and Scholar Services, the International Training Office and the Study Abroad Office. We receive guidance from the International Affairs Advisory Council, whose members advise the associate vice president for international affairs.
Our Vision and Mission: An International NIU
NIU strives to promote cultural sensitivity and a global perspective in students in order to prepare them to succeed in an increasingly global and diverse society, economy and workplace. The Division of International Affairs helps accomplish this vision by encouraging the following:
- Courses and academic curricula incorporating an international component or dimension.
- Quality and affordable study, work and travel abroad opportunities in all areas of the world.
- A balanced and critical mass of international students at NIU that is integrated into the university and local communities.
- Faculty and staff at NIU who are involved in international teaching, research, performance and public service programs.
- Faculty, staff and students involved in international training and development assistance programs.
- Nationally recognized interdisciplinary centers for international studies serving students and faculty members.
Our mission is to ensure meaningful and fulfilling global experiences for all members of the NIU community. We reach out to the greater NIU community to infuse global perspectives throughout NIU's teaching, research and engagement missions while supporting and maintaining the university's broader connections to the world.