Step One: Initial Consultation
If you need assistance with personal/emotional concerns or crisis situations, just call Counseling and Consultation Services at 815-753-1206 or walk-in for an initial consultation at the Campus Life Building, room 200. You do not need to schedule this appointment in advance.
Do you think you might benefit from our services? The first thing you need to do is complete an initial consultation appointment. You will be asked to answer some brief questions and then you will either be scheduled to speak with a counselor over the phone or in person to complete the consultation process. Please note that during busy times you may have to wait to speak with an available counselor, but every effort will be made to speak with you in a timely manner.
During the consultation process, you and the counselor may decide on one or more of the following options:
- Individual counseling at Counseling and Consultation Services
- A referral to a Counseling and Consultation Services therapy group
- A referral for a Counseling and Consultation Services eating disorder assessment, substance use assessment, or anger intervention
- A referral to another NIU agency or resource
- A referral to an off-campus agency or resource
Initial consultation hours are from 11 a.m.-3:30 p.m., Monday-Friday.
Initial Consultation Hours
11 a.m.-3:30 p.m.
Contact UsCounseling and Consultation Services
Campus Life Building, room 200
8 a.m.-4:30 p.m.