Alpha Kappa Delta International Sociology Honor Society (AKD)
AKD is a non-secret, democratic, international society of scholars dedicated to the ideal of investigating humanity for the purpose of service.
- Recognizing academic achievement: AKD membership reflects a standard of academic accomplishment and excellence.
- Job market returns: For new graduates pursuing certain types of employment, AKD membership will increase your salary.
- For example, civil service employees receive a two-step boost in pay grade if they list AKD membership on job applications.
- AKD is a great way to spiff up your resumé.
Minimum requirements include:
- Junior standing
- Completed at least 12 credit hours in sociology at NIU
- Overall GPA of 3.3 and rank in the top 35% of their class in general scholarship
- Sociology GPA of 3.0
For an application form, contact Kristie Crane at email@example.com
. Membership is $50 and is due at the time of application. Please visit AKD's website
Sociology Student Advisory Council (SSAC)
SSAC is the student sociology club. The club meets regularly throughout the year and is the official voice of sociology students to the department and NIU. The club typically helps organize a community service project each year and helps coordinate Sociology Week and other student-centered activities. Carol Walther
supervises club activities.