The Institute for the Study of the Environment, Sustainability and Energy fosters interdisciplinary research, education, and community engagement to promote understanding of the environment and the development of creative and effective solutions to environmental and sustainability issues.
We have over 120 undergraduate majors and we are still growing! Learn more about a Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) and Bachelor of Science (B.S.)
- Biodiversity and Environmental Restoration
- Energy Studies
- Environmental Policy
- Nature in Society
- Sustainable Food Systems
- Water Sciences
- Secondary Educator Licensure
Certificate of Undergraduate Studies
Careers in Environmental Studies
This graphic shows some common career options linked to each of the emphases in Environmental Studies.
Special Academic Opportunities
Tutoring and Menotring on Campus
Green Campus Initiatives
Student Learning Outcomes
- Integrate and apply knowledge from multiple disciplinary perspectives to evaluate the causes, consequences, and potential solutions to environmental challenges
- Critically evaluate the environmental, historical, and social context of environmental changes from the local to global scale
- Identify and analyze research at the cutting-edge of science, technology, social science, and humanities to generate solutions to contemporary environmental challenges.
- Effectively communicate complex issues and ideas to diverse audiences and successfully work in groups.
Institute for the Study of the Environment, Sustainability and Energy
325 Montgomery Hall
Northern Illinois University
DeKalb, IL 60115