Scholarships and Awards
Each year, we give a number of scholarships and awards to deserving undergraduate and graduate students. We are proud of our students with outstanding academic and research accomplishments and grateful that we can recognize some of them. Most of the awards come from donations by alumni to the NIU Foundation in the name of various scholarships. Read more about NIU scholarships.
Committees composed of faculty and/or students make nominations for the awards and determine who will receive them. If you're a student, you can also nominate yourself for awards. Applications are due Feb. 1.
Applying for Undergraduate Scholarships
These scholarships are generally based on academic performance, though some have additional criteria. In order to qualify, you must have a GPA of 3.00 or greater. Currently, scholarships are available for juniors and seniors only.
To apply, fill out the application form by Feb. 1. You'll need to provide the following:
- Your cumulative GPA and biosci GPA (your GPA in BIOS courses plus courses required for the BIOS major).
- Your class status (freshman, sophomore, junior or senior).
- The approximate number of hours per week you've worked in the last two years to pay for college.
- Your research experience, extracurricular activities and career goals.
- The name of a biology faculty member who's agreed to serve as a reference.
The following scholarships or awards are chosen by the BIOS scholarship committee through the application form:
- Harvey A Feyerherm Award
- Jerrold H. Zar Endowed Scholarship in Biology
- The Dennis Larsen Memorial Scholarship in Biology
- Patricia Vary Scholarship in Biological Sciences
- Deans Award
Junior or Senior
- Alumni Scholarship in Biological Sciences
- Amanda Mangold Scholarship
- August M Gorenz, Ph.D. Scholarship Fund
- BELONG in STEM*
- Charles Rohde, Ph.D. Scholarship Fund
- David and Karen Nargis Student Scholarship in Biology
- NIU At Oxford Biological Sciences Scholarship
- Phi Sigma Outstanding Undergraduate Research Award*
- PMBC Undergraduate Research Fellowship
- Sonya Conway Memorial Scholarship
- Winifred Halsey Scholarship
*Not chosen by the BIOS scholarship committee.
- Dissertation Completion Award
- George L. Terwilliger Memorial Scholarship Fund - Endowed
- Phi Sigma Outstanding Graduate Research Award
- PMBC Graduate Research AssistantshipUniversity Fellowship
- Sidney A. Mittler Award
- Charles Montgomery (teacher prep program)
- David R. Layman Scholarship Fund
- Jerrold H. Zar Endowed Scholarship in Science Education