- Department of Biological Sciences
- About Us
- History of the Department
History of the Department
Northern Illinois State Normal School (NISTC) opened its doors.
The Department of Biological Sciences was established.
The expanded NISTC was renamed Northern Illinois State College (NISC).
The expanded NISC was renamed Northern Illinois University (NIU).
The College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, in which the Department of Biological Sciences is located, was established.
The Department moved from Davis Hall (built in 1943) into Montgomery Hall (built in 1969).
Dedication of Charles E. Montgomery Hall on Oct. 16, 1970.
Chair of Biological Sciences
- 1921-1952 Charles E. Montgomery
- 1952-1965 George L. Terwilliger
- 1965-1968 Harvey A. Feyerherm
- 1969-1978 James A. Mc Cleary
- 1978-1984 Jerrold H. Zar
- 1984-1995 Marvin J. Starzyk
- 1995-1999 Patricia S. Vary
- 1999-2006 J. Michael Parrish
- 2006-2009 Carl N. von Ende
- 2009-2020 Barrie P. Bode
- 2020-2021 Wesley Swingley (interim)
Distinguished Research/Teaching Professors in the Department
|Name||Dates||Research or Teaching|
|J. Michael Parrish||2002-2006||(Research)|
|Rangaswamy "Nathan" Meganathan||2002-2006||(Research)|
|Patricia S. Vary||1991-1995||(Research)|
|John L.A. Mitchell||1987-1991||(Research)|
|Arnold E. Hampel||1982-1986||(Research)|
Department of Biological Sciences
Montgomery Hall 349
Graduate Administrative Assistant