B.A or B.S. in Art
- The Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) in Art is a comprehensive degree that focuses on the study of art, design and art history in the context of a broader program of general study.
- The Bachelor of Science (B.S.) in Art is a comprehensive degree that focuses on the study of art, design and art history in the context of a broader program of general study including the sciences, mathematics and a technology field.
The synthesis of art, humanities, and technology prepares students for a wide range of personal and career pursuits informed by learning about traditional and emerging technologies, complex systems, and
creative markets. Through cooperation with departments across the campus, the B.A./B.S. offers pre-professional advising tracks in art therapy and integrated design.
The B.A. and B.S. in art is also for students interested in sustainability and the environment as well as arts administration and arts management. Faculty and advisors are ready to help art and design students leverage outstanding course offerings across NIU to prepare them with the skills needed for success.
As a 50-year member of the National Association of Schools of Art and Design, NIU is a leader in arts and
design education in the United States. As such, B.A./B.S. students possess the following capabilities:
- Able to rapidly assess environments, culture, and people: see the ‘big picture’.
- Balance emerging leadership skills with a commitment to collaboration.
- Able to design, write, develop plans and strategies: problem solve.
- Balance strong conceptual thinking with practical implementation.